Question

Honor Student
Hampster
Message 1 of 48 (126,351 Views)

Update failed looking for Status.msi

I recently downloaded and attempted to install an update to improve USB connectivity for my C6280 All-In-One printer.  The update failed because something called Status.msi could not be located.

Now, everytime I start my computer an Windows installation box pops-up still looking for Status.msi.  I have to cancel it 15-20 times before it fianally stops popping up.

I tried to get help fron the HP on-line chat techs but the one I got was absolutely worthless.  It was obvious he never understood what the problem was.

I am not overly endowed with in-depth computer knowledge so any sugggestions need to be on as simple a level as possible.

I am using a Dell Dimension C521 with Vista Home Premium.  My printer is a Photosmart C6280 All-in-one.

At this point I would be happy to just get the installation box to quit popping up. 

Thanks in advance.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 48 (126,393 Views)

Re: Update failed looking for Status.msi

Insert the installation cd for your printer. Now in the CD contents, open the location setup\status, now right click on Status.msi and click on repair. It may ask you to restart the PC.

If this doesn't work, then when you get the "installation box", then click on the Browse button and locate the status.msi file on the CD in the same location, and the box shouldnt reappear.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
bjan
Message 3 of 48 (126,368 Views)

I have the same problem (message received re: installation failed looking for status.msi)   except I wasn't installing anything.   I think it is the result of an HP update to my C4180 All-in-One printer.    I do not have the original installation CD as the computer was installed when I bought the computer.   

Any suggestions for me?    

Honor Student
Hampster
Message 4 of 48 (126,084 Views)

I tried both of your suggestions.

When I right clicked on Status and clicked on Repair I got a box saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

When I tried the other suggestion and redirected the program to the Status file on the install disk it just keeps popping back up with the same message I have been getting.

When I tried double clicking on Status I get a message about Error 2732.

Student
erazoner
Message 5 of 48 (125,602 Views)

I was prompted by an HP Update popup to perform an update for my HP C4100. I am running Vista Ultimate 64. I allowed the update to run, but was surprised when it prompted me to insert my printer's installation CD to find status.msi. I had filed away (or discarded) the CD when I purchased my printer because it was XP only and I had to download the All-In-One software from the HP website to install the printer on my Vista machine. I searched for the missing status.msi in my HD file structure and of course it wasn't there.

I clicked on Cancel but the update continued anyway, loading photo management software I did not need or want, even prompting me to register my "new" hardware. I even got an Installation Complete message. But instead I had problems from that point on whenever I tried to shut down or restart, trying to locate the "status.msi" file.

Solution: I rebooted in safe mode and performed a System Restore to the point prior to the update and the problem went away. Now on restart I get prompted to perform the update and I ignore it. Even if I were to find the printer installation CD, I'd be wary of going through this again.

I consider it poor programming practice to require users to keep old installation CDs handy just to perform an update. Especially when updating software which has no commercial value apart from the hardware it supports. (No one would pay money for the photo software when Picasa is free.)

Honor Student
bjan
Message 6 of 48 (125,591 Views)

[ Edited ]

I encountered the same problem on my HP with Vista.   I have an HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One printer.  I do not have the original CD.   I contacted HP support via e-mail and received this reply:

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care. This is XXXX from HP Total Care.

I understand from your email that you are getting the pop-up repeatedly once you updated the HP software and to your concern will try to help you with that.

Barb, I suggest you to completely uninstall the Printer software and reinstall the software. Please click the below link that will help you to uninstall the software..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02259020&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Once you finished uninstalling the software, please reinstall the software. I suggest you to select Custom installation while installing the software and uncheck "HP Update" while installing the software. Please click the below link that will help you to install the software...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02259020&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en 

I had to do this twice...maybe because I did something wrong the first time...but it worked and I receive no more pop-ups searching fform Status.Msi.    

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Fixing broken links

Student
bigears
Message 7 of 48 (124,309 Views)

I had the same problem with trying to get rid of Status.msi error message. I found your instructions useful as I have just unstalled my C4180 printer software and reinstalled. At the moment the window is not popping up and not receiving any error messages. Proof will be when I shut down the computer and restart it. Thanks for your help in this matter as I was having the same problem.

HP support could not really help me as I was trying them over the last few days. I would have thought that they would have tested the update before releasing it to the consumers.

Student
VikkiH
Message 8 of 48 (111,558 Views)

I too have the Status.msi problem!! The pop up box says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". I have to cancel and "x" out numerous times before it will go away. I am using the HP PhotoSmart 7280 printer along with my HP TouchSmart IQ500 PC with Vista 64bit. You would think that using two HP products would not create a communication problem between printer and computer! The only thing that has worked so far was to "uninstall" and "reinstall" with the original disk. If the update is required again I will not install it this time. Everything was working beautifully before the update.
Student
allanf
Message 9 of 48 (106,853 Views)

I have this same problem with a c4385.  I have had the problem before, gotten rid of it and it comes back.  The thing I find most intriguing is the number of people that post about it.  Yet HP does not post a real solution here, nor do they address the issue.  They prefer to ignore the problem.
Student
JackGAdams
Message 10 of 48 (106,092 Views)

I had the same problem... I downloaded the basic drivers for my C4385 version 10.1 I believe it is and it cured the problem ...my status for the printer came up indicating connected etc. and disappeared like it should

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation