Question

Honor Student
Angeleyez
Message 1 of 18 (5,995 Views)
Accepted Solution

Vista Drivers & software for Photosmart 1000 printer

I have had an HP photosmart 1000 for 3 years now and I have the discs, and I have never had a problem with any computer I have had - Which were not HP's! Now, I buy as HP Compaq Presario x64 notebook and I am unable to use my HP Printer. I love my printer and have endured the years of 40 - 50.00 ink cartridges. However, if I can't download the drivers and software to load this printer on my HP notebook w/ Vista 64, then I will not be replacing my printer with another HP. I love the quality of the printer and it's functions, and have been willing to compromise on paying the over priced cartridge costs. But, if I have to pay, simply because I just bought a brandnew computer from HP, then I will replace it with the new Xerox printer.

Does anyone know if there is a download with the drivers and software for this printer to work amnd be recognized by Window Vista? Please let me know. I appreciate all advice!

Thanks

Grad Student
tinuwangiro
Message 2 of 18 (5,959 Views)

Re: Vista Drivers & software for Photosmart 1000 printer

no availabe drivers for your printer on the hp website but try to use the plug and play feature of vista or try to use the deskjet 990c drivers instead.

(i may represent HP but this advice is solely my own)
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 18 (5,974 Views)

[ Edited ]

Angeleyez wrote:

I have had an HP photosmart 1000 for 3 years now and I have the discs, and I have never had a problem with any computer I have had - Which were not HP's! Now, I buy as HP Compaq Presario x64 notebook and I am unable to use my HP Printer. I love my printer and have endured the years of 40 - 50.00 ink cartridges. However, if I can't download the drivers and software to load this printer on my HP notebook w/ Vista 64, then I will not be replacing my printer with another HP. I love the quality of the printer and it's functions, and have been willing to compromise on paying the over priced cartridge costs. But, if I have to pay, simply because I just bought a brandnew computer from HP, then I will replace it with the new Xerox printer.

Does anyone know if there is a download with the drivers and software for this printer to work amnd be recognized by Window Vista? Please let me know. I appreciate all advice!

Thanks

If this is the Photosmart 1000 that uses the #45 and #78 cartrdiges (introduced in about 1998...) the Deskjet 970 driver should provide a good match for printing.  Go to the Printers folder, Add Printer and select the Deskjet 970. 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Angeleyez
Message 4 of 18 (5,929 Views)

Thank you so very much. YES the deskject 990CSE works for the photosmart 1000. Thanks for letting me know, because HP and Microsoft were of no use with this issue.

If Anyone else has the Photosmart 1000, tinuwangiro was correct you can go to printers use the USB port selection, then scroll to HP then scroll to Deskjet 990CSE and enter and it will set up the drivers so you are able to use the photosmart wit Vista!

Thanks Again!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 18 (5,906 Views)

[ Edited ]

Angeleyez wrote:

Thank you so very much. YES the deskject 990CSE works for the photosmart 1000. Thanks for letting me know, because HP and Microsoft were of no use with this issue.

If Anyone else has the Photosmart 1000, tinuwangiro was correct you can go to printers use the USB port selection, then scroll to HP then scroll to Deskjet 990CSE and enter and it will set up the drivers so you are able to use the photosmart wit Vista!

Thanks Again!

Actually I would recommend the Deskjet 970 driver rather than the 990.  The Deskjet 990 driver may not print images properly in some settings (blank pages), the Deskjet 970 driver should be completely compatible.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Honor Student
rkarvel
Message 6 of 18 (3,967 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,  For the most part, I've had good luck running my PhotoSmart 1000 on Windows Vista using the 970cse driver, which you suggested.  However, I recently decided to invest in some color ink cartridges and I can't figure out how to get the cartridges aligned properly.  Additionally, when I run the printer in "color mode", any plain, black text has a very disctinct, gray shadowing beneath it.  There doesn't seem to be a setting on the actual printer to align the colors, and the manual suggests aligning the colors via the driver.  However, I can't find a place to align the colors on the driver for 970cse.  Please advise.  Thank you so much.  - Ryan

Honor Student
rkarvel
Message 7 of 18 (3,965 Views)

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 18 (3,942 Views)

The P1000 should automatically print an alignment page and perform the alignment automatically when a cartridge is changed.  The issue you describe could be caused by an electrical issue, probably with the #45 cartridge.

Honor Student
rkarvel
Message 9 of 18 (3,935 Views)

Hmmm... Are you suggesting that after over a decade of daily use, maybe the printer is showing signs of aging?  :smileyhappy:  Does it make a difference that when I print a test page though the computer, the alignment is off, but that when I print a test page directly from the printer, there is no gray shadowing on the letters?  It would be difficult to tell about the color alignment from the test page printed from the printer and, as I stated earlier, the printer just spits out a blank piece of paper when asked to print an alignment page after changing cartridges.  Thank you for your assistance, and for getting back to me so quickly.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 18 (3,920 Views)

rkarvel wrote:

Hmmm... Are you suggesting that after over a decade of daily use, maybe the printer is showing signs of aging?  :smileyhappy:  Does it make a difference that when I print a test page though the computer, the alignment is off, but that when I print a test page directly from the printer, there is no gray shadowing on the letters?  It would be difficult to tell about the color alignment from the test page printed from the printer and, as I stated earlier, the printer just spits out a blank piece of paper when asked to print an alignment page after changing cartridges.  Thank you for your assistance, and for getting back to me so quickly.

I did not catch the part about the alignment page printing blank.  This would cause the alignment (which also does power and thermal calibrations) to fail.  I would suggest removing the cartridges and cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation