Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Some printer models with automatic duplexers do not properly print the back page in Vista.  In these models the back side is printed updside down regardless of the driver settings.

The attached zip file has a patch and instructions to correct this issue for the Deskjet 5600 printers.

Patches for other models may be available here.

This patch has been well tested, with over 150 copies of this patch distributed via email since April 2007.

The zip file has two files:

DJ5600.pdf     contains detailed instructions to apply the patch.  Opening this file requires Adobe Reader or a similar pdf viewer, available for free download.

hpf4bk3l.gpd  is the actual patch file.

To apply the patch download the zip file attached here.  Extract the files into the %temp% directory, then open the  DJ9800.pdf file and follow the instructions.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Placeholder for future updates.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Placeholder for future updates.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
Is there a patch which will fix the margin issues with hp deskjet 5655.  I am using Vista and when I print in manual or automatic duplex the left margins always seem to be overrided by the hp defaults.  No amount of playing with the printing preferences or margins seems to change it. When I print normally the layout is preserved only I must quickly place the page back in the feeder to get the other side.  Can't seem to figure this one out?
HP Recommended

Thank you Bob.  I had been struggling with this problem for about a year before stumbling across your solution.  Great Job!  Boo to HP for not having fixed this in the first place.  And boo to me for not finding your post sooner.  The instructions didn't quite work for me, but I finally remembered my way around DOS enough to copy the new hpfbk3l.gpd file directly to the required directory.  Apparently I screwed up the extraction somehow and the file ended up on the desktop rather than in %temp%.  Now, if I could find a fix for the shrunken page content in MS Word...

HP Recommended

There are errors in the patch instructions.  On the second page after the ren command there is a parenthetical included, I suppose, to insure that the user understands that one of the characters is the letter L (ell) and not the number 1 (one).  I believe there should be a 4 between the letters f & b.  I believe there should also be the same correction made in the copy command that follows.  I'm an old DOS command line user from the mid 80's, so the problem was obvious to me.  Newbies might not be so fortunate.

By the way, it took about 3 minutes to implement, and it worked flawlessly.  Thanks Bob!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.