Question

Tutor
MarkLang
Message 1 of 4 (2,280 Views)

What Drivers Work Reliably with HP 4100 on Windows 7?

This seems like a simple question, but I am having terrible problems getting my HP 4100 laserjet printer to work on Windows 7.   The printer easily installs a defalut driver HP4100 PCL6 automatically by Windows when plugged in.  The problem is that this driver often fails on more complex images with PCL XL errors.   This problem is written about all over these forums, so I guess it is common.   I worked hard to substitute the HP4100 PS driver instead hoping this would work.  I still have a minor windows error with that install, but the dirver is working.  However, when I printed an Adobe pdf today that driver also had errors.  This time the error is "undefined", offending command rE?!UW=.    With the PS dirver at least I get some printed output, but there are elements missing. This is getting very frustrating.  Is there any driver that will work reliably with Windows 7?  My Canon MP780 works flawlessly on Windows 7, but I don't want to use it except for important color prining because of the ink cost. 

I don't know if this is a Windows 7 problem or not.   I just know that I used this printer for years on my old Windows XP SP3 computer (driver PCL5e, I believe), and I don't remember ever getting these errors.   What do people do today?  Is there a driver that will work, or some setting that will get rid of these problems?  I hope someone has had better success and can help me.  Thanks.

Student
Heleen22
Message 2 of 4 (1,501 Views)

Re: What Drivers Work Reliably with HP 4100 on Windows 7?

Mark,

It's my 1st time to use this Forum and I saw your post in 2010 more than a year ago about HP4100 on Window7.  I have the same problem but not sure how to fix it.  I do not see any response to your question.   Did I miss something??  If you have fixed the problem, please let me know how you did it.  Thanks.

Heleen

Tutor
MarkLang
Message 3 of 4 (1,494 Views)

Heleen,

I wish I had good news for you.   I ended up getting a parallel to USB adapter cable, and plugging the printer into a networked disk I had that had a USB print server built in.   This allowed me to select any driver I wanted because it is a networked printer.   I tried installing the generic driver that HP offers on the website.   This did work more reliably than any of the other choices.   However, I still got weird things printed from time to time.   I assume that the generic driver is just not quite up to snuff.    I ended up abandoning the HP4100 and, because it did not leave me with great feelings for HP, I purchased a competitive product -- which has worked very well for me.   If you can get the generic driver loaded, not one of the ones that Windows selects for you, you might be OK for most of your printing.   

Note that you need to find the generic driver on the website.   This should not be difficult.  Download and uppack the zipped files.  (You cannot "run" the file; you must uppack the files manually.)  Then, point to one of the unpacked files that is of the type the driver install software is looking for.   It has been quite a while since I did it, and I don't remember the file type now.  

I hope this helps.

Mark

Student
StvBoussomCPA
Message 4 of 4 (372 Views)

The key is to first install a parallel port in your Windows 7 machine and then from your laserjet 4100 plug in your parallel cable into the printer and then the Windows 7 machine and then proceed to add a printer and let it be the HP Laserjet 4100 PCL 6.  The parallel port cost me less than $25 and came with driver CD.  I have a Windows 7 (64 bit) machine and the lasejet is humming like brand new.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation