Question

Honor Student
Hariclaude
Message 1 of 3 (1,133 Views)

What does 'Windows 7 ready' mean?

Hi,

Could someone help a non-techie mere mortal to understand the basics about Windows 7 compatibility. I want to buy a new printer to print from my HP laptop using Windows Vista and HP netbook using Windows 7. I have seen a couple of HP Photosmart printers that I'm interested in buying, The technical details say that one is Windows 7 compatible and the other is Windows 7 ready. Could someone tell me what the difference is - I can't find the answer on the HP website.

I'd also like to print wirelessly, but am unsure as to what I need in order to do this. Any advice please?

Thanks.

PhD Student
Dot4
Message 2 of 3 (1,115 Views)

Re: What does 'Windows 7 ready' mean?

Hariclaude,

I believe the difference between Windows 7 ready and Windows 7 compatible is one ships with a Windows 7 software CD, the newer products, and one will have the software on HP.com as a free download, but both will work with Windows 7. To answer your wirelees question you would need a router, the software/instructions for the printer will have the option of how you want to install it and will walk you thru the process.  Hope this helps.

I was an HP employee

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved

**Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star**
Honor Student
Hariclaude
Message 3 of 3 (1,100 Views)

Re: What does 'Windows 7 ready' mean?

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Youv'e told me what I need to know, i.e. that the printer will work with Vista and Windows 7.

I asked about wireless because I use mobile broadband at the moment, not fixed, and didn't know whether it would work with wireless. If not, I can always use a cable.

Cheers,

Hariclaude.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation