Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This process wastes CPU cycles by starting and stopping all the time.  Most of my other Windows 7 processes stay running and use CPU/Memory as needed.  By restarting the process every 5-10 seconds, it has a negative impact on my system.

When will this be fixed?  Is there a way to tune this feature?  Is there a recommended workaround?  If it's just a workaround, is there a negative side effect?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

here is the work around

(the experience changes are that a scan is easiest to run from your PC and  ink alerts happen when you print

(not anytime - like when a family member runs you out of ink)

from mtbaughs    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Hom​e/hp-network-communicator/m-p/1160329#M23620

Try disabling the scan activation by following the steps below:

1. Open the HP software by clicking on the desktop icon or by opening it from the programs folder <All Programs>HP>Product>

2. Navigate to the Heading Scanner Actions in the software and click on the link titled Manage Scan to Computer

3. Disable the activation and uncheck the box to automatically restart the activation when you log back in.

Keep the scan deactivated unless you need to scan, at which time simply enable the activation by reversing the steps above.

Set ink alerts to show only when you print if it is not already. To do this, open the HP software and click on estimated ink levels.

The printer toolbox appears - Select the advanced settings tab

On the advanced settings tab, make sure the default is set to 'Only show me ink alerts when I print'. Let me know if that has any impact

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved .....

(I am an HP employee)

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, if HP doesn't give a solution soon I'll get back my printer money.

HP Recommended

I posted the same problem under "Blue Circles on my Mouse Pointer".  When I talked to Tech Support, they had never heard of it before.  Their only solution was to leave the printer on all the time.  It is time now to fix the problem!!

HP Recommended
This highlights poor customer support. They must have a policy of not acknowledging problems until they are resolved. If shareholders called for the removal of the HP CIO, policies like this would change.
HP Recommended

This is ridiculous.  HP needs to address this problem immediately.  It is chewing up processing cycles and interrupting performance of PC's.  The only way it stops cycling is when the Printer is turned on.  This is new to the Wireless printers as I had a D3110 and it did NOT ever have this problem .

Upgraded to the 5510 and viola!  The problem magically exists.

I have every intention on putting HP on blast in every social media avenue I have access to (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) on their intention to ignore a very prevalent and an intrusive process which continues to cycle through and use process space.

HP Recommended
Another effective mechanism is to post a review of the product on Amazon and other retail sites. Sales can be seriously affected by a few bad reviews.
HP Recommended

Has anyone heard anything new about this issue?  It has been quite a while now.

HP Recommended

I have encountered the same problem with my Photsmart 7510 after loading the software disk supplied.      I found that if I turn the printer on first and then the pc or laptop, the timer does not flicker on and off, even when the printer is turned off.    However, once the laptop or pc is turned off it is necessary to repeat the operation each time.    Until HP find a permanent fix solution give this a try and let me know if it helps you.   I am running on Windows 7

Brian

HP Recommended

It works exactly like that for me too.  I am running windows 7 and have the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.

HP Recommended

Surprise, surprise, I have the same problem.  Does anyone at HP know there is a problem and, if so, are they looking to make it a standard?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.