Win 7 - XP - Deskjet 3845 Networking problem - does it work? (566 Views)
Tutor
Bigbadger
Message 1 of 3 (566 Views)

Win 7 - XP - Deskjet 3845 Networking problem - does it work?

Hi,  Have a small network with a Deskjet 3845 networked between 2 PC's and 2 laptops.  Upgraded the Main PC to Win 7 (where the printer is connected) and can print.  However, now none of the other 3 PC's running XP can see the printer.  File sharing is working between all 4 computers so I guess this is some sort of printer driver problem.  I have accessed the printer and checked sharing on the Win7 PC and all appears fine there.  Is this not a supported configuration?

Honor Student
rick_havoc
Message 2 of 3 (334 Views)

Re: Win 7 - XP - Deskjet 3845 Networking problem - does it work?

This the exact same problem that I am having and my Google searches have found a number of other people reporting the same problem but nobody has posted any solutions that have worked for me.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 3 (325 Views)

Re: Win 7 - XP - Deskjet 3845 Networking problem - does it work?

Try the following: On the XP machine go to the Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, then chose the Deskjet 3845 (or perhaps Deskjet 3800 series) driver.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation