Question
Tutor
Message 1 of 3 (590 Views)

Win 7 - XP - Deskjet 3845 Networking problem - does it work?

Hi,  Have a small network with a Deskjet 3845 networked between 2 PC's and 2 laptops.  Upgraded the Main PC to Win 7 (where the printer is connected) and can print.  However, now none of the other 3 PC's running XP can see the printer.  File sharing is working between all 4 computers so I guess this is some sort of printer driver problem.  I have accessed the printer and checked sharing on the Win7 PC and all appears fine there.  Is this not a supported configuration?

Honor Student
Message 2 of 3 (358 Views)

Re: Win 7 - XP - Deskjet 3845 Networking problem - does it work?

This the exact same problem that I am having and my Google searches have found a number of other people reporting the same problem but nobody has posted any solutions that have worked for me.

Provost
Message 3 of 3 (349 Views)

Re: Win 7 - XP - Deskjet 3845 Networking problem - does it work?

Try the following: On the XP machine go to the Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, then chose the Deskjet 3845 (or perhaps Deskjet 3800 series) driver.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation