Question

Tutor
strandholm
Message 1 of 24 (60,335 Views)

Win 7 and scanning software for HP ScanJet 7400C

Hello.

I am about to migrate from Win XP to Win 7 Ultimate. I am running HP PrecisionScan Pro 3 on my XP - I know that the ScanJet 7400C I have is compatible with Windows 7, but I cant seem to locate any driver and software. Could you help, please...

Thanks,

Anders

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 24 (60,343 Views)

Re: Win 7 and scanning software for HP ScanJet 7400C

The drivers of HP ScanJet 7400C are available through Windows Update. Please follow the steps available in the following document to install the Scanner:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01874792

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Tutor
strandholm
Message 3 of 24 (60,331 Views)

I understand Win 7 will download the correct drivers for HP 7400 C ScanJet scanner - but what about the PrecisionScan Pro software itself?

Dean
Vidya
Message 4 of 24 (60,342 Views)

If you are upgrading the Operating System from XP to Windows 7, you should not have any problems in using PrecisionScan Pro software. However, I suggest you run Windows 7 upgrade advisor to check the compatibility of this software with Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Tutor
strandholm
Message 5 of 24 (60,326 Views)

You got a point there. I will run the upgrade advisor...
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 24 (60,306 Views)

strandholm wrote:

I am about to migrate from Win XP to Win 7 Ultimate. I am running HP PrecisionScan Pro 3 on my XP - I know that the ScanJet 7400C I have is compatible with Windows 7, but I cant seem to locate any driver and software. Could you help, please...

Please be aware that there is no direct upgrade path from XP to WIndows 7.  You will need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 and then reinstall your applications.  You may be able to run PrecisionScan Pro 3 in compatibiliity mode.  If PSP3 does not run initially you could right click on the program and select "Troubleshoot compatibility". 

If your computer supports virtualization then Windows 7 XP Mode may be a solution.  It allows running XP applications in Windows 7 and my experience is that it works well.  (It does require a recent CPU with Hardware Assisted Virtualizaion.  There is a tool here to determine if your system supports HAV.)

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
strandholm
Message 7 of 24 (60,189 Views)

Thanks.

I did run the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor om my XP, and the report informed me that HP Scanjet 7400C status was Check Windows Update and indicated a green checkmark. However, what surprises me a bit is thet the Win 7 Upgrade Report does not say anything about the software HP PrecisionScan Pro 3 ?

This should indicate, that PSP3 is compatible with Windows 7, right?

Student
rent4u2
Message 8 of 24 (50,752 Views)

isnt their some additional scanjet 7400c software also....I can't find drivers for HP Scanjet 7400C is their??

Honor Student
Mtnmoma
Message 9 of 24 (47,678 Views)

I am able to scan in using Windows 7 and HP Scanjet 7400C and selecting the scanned doc to be a .JPG but when i try to open the file with Adobe Reader, it says the file cannot be opened.  Any suggestions how I can scan in a document using HP 7400C and Windows & have it come out as a .JPG file that is "openable"?

Student
PublishedPage
Message 10 of 24 (39,989 Views)

One option is to scan directly into the Paint.net photo editing program available as a free download from Microsoft <http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

I find it easy to use and a good all round product.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation