Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Microsoft Compatibility Center lists the printer as compatible but the driver on HP's website indicated Windows 8.1 compatibility.  Having installed it on a Windows 10 machine, it detects the printer and provides the option to print to it from applications but nothing happens on the printer, nothing gets printed.

Can anyone please point me to the appropriate driver?

Thanks,

Fred

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @frednaud,

I see that you are having issues printing since upgrading to Windows 10. I will certainly do my best to help you.

The Win 8.1 drivers are supposed to work with Windows 10. If you didn't fully uninstall the driver and reinstall the drivers, I would suggest to start there first.

Please try these steps to see if it will help resolve the issue. HP Printers - Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10.

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

If you are still having issues installing the printer, install it in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

Download the latest printer driver.

Extract the files. (they usually extract to the temp folder-type in the search %temp% , in the 7z....folder)

Right click on the setup file (HPSetup) of the driver and select Properties.
Select Compatibility Tab.
Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select Windows 8 from the drop down list.
Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Is the computer HP or Non HP?

We may have to go into the Registry to remove out the older printer files.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem...

But I'm lost.

Software install seem to work well.

But as soon as I connect the printer for detection, the computer tell me that a HP CD Smart Drive was installed and... It goes forever until the answer "Error" comes.

What can I do?

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem.

This is what  found out.

Printing PDF is fine, if under advanced "print as image" is selected.

Printing PDF, if "print as image" is not selected, will not print.  The job goes to the print spool, and instaneously disappears.

Printing from Word or Excel, same thing.  Printing from Powerpoint, it'll say "problem with printer setup...".

Pictures/photos can be printed.

This only happens on Windows 10 64-bit.

I tested this in a virtual machine running Linux Mint and Windows 10 32-bit, and printing for both cases are ok.

So it appears that there is something wrong with the 64-bit Windows 10 driver.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue on Windows 10 x64 printing to via USB. only images would print.  I switched the driver to the "HP Laserjet PCLmS Class" Driver instead of the M177fw specific driver and printing works fine now."

The driver can be changed by going into settings, printers and devices, then open the queue for the M177fw printer, from the menu select Printer, then properties from the drop down menu, then click on the "advanced" tab, and select the "HP Laserjet PCLmS Class" driver. If it isn't listed, you can download and install it from the HP support site then repeat this sequence. Hope that helps. It was frustrating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.