Re: Windows 7 Driver for HP Photosmart 1218??? (205 Views)
Top Student
HPTestingGuy
Message 21 of 30 (587 Views)

Re: Windows 7 Driver for HP Photosmart 1218???

LGOURMET wrote:

Here is the link.  Scroll to HP Photosmart 8400 series: In-OS Driver

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01992524&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N761

I am not sure what you mean by "Picture Library" -- where are you getting this option.

I am going to Devices and Printers -- where I allow my Windows 7 to detect then

1. Turn on the HP1218

2. Allow it to be discovered - note it comes up and says cannot locate driver

3. Select Properties - select the printer, and select Advanced

4. Select update driver

5. Select the driver from the list on my computer.

6. I select HP -- scroll down to the HP Photosmart 8400 Series -- there are two listed.

7. Install driver.

When I try to do as you suggested -- go to HP and get the driver for Windows 7 32 bit -- it states

Install the Driver Located in the Operating System with a USB Connection (Downloadable Driver Not Av... 2009-10-16 , Version:N/AHP Single Function Printers - Installing the Product with the USB Cable and Using the Driver Located in the Windows 7 Operating System

More info

Thanks for sticking with me on this -- just need more specifics.

Top Student
LGOURMET
Message 22 of 30 (584 Views)

I don't think I can help you.  I just reinstalled my printer to see how it would go and everything came up the same using the 8400 series option.  I do not have an option in my windows 7 pro as you describe for either HP or Microsoft 8450.  Mine definitely states 8400 and it installs and runs the printer as it did the first time I installed it.

The "Picture Library" is where the pictures are viewed and organized in windows 7, which is a folder with the "Document" section.  

Honor Student
iamthec
Message 23 of 30 (507 Views)

Thank you for this! I got my 1218 set up on my Windows 7 laptop in no time with your help. Pass this on!

Mark Lester, Des Plaines

Top Student
LGOURMET
Message 24 of 30 (507 Views)

Yes, if you download the drivers for HP 8400 Series printers.  It works perfectly with everything except the Picture Library.  You have to install the "8400" from a dropdown box everytime you want to use it, but it only takes a minute each time.  Otherwise it works for all other programs and browsers that I have found.  Let's face it.  The 1218 is a work horse.  Those of us who have it, love it and do not want to change.

Honor Student
iamthec
Message 25 of 30 (504 Views)

Had no problem with the 990c, but good to know that one works as well.

Top Student
HPTestingGuy
Message 26 of 30 (499 Views)

Please see my original post about the steps to install the driver -- is this what you did?   I really want to know.

If I missed a step -- or did not do as you did to get the 990C or 8400 to work please let me know.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium -- perhaps that is an issue?

Thanks

Top Student
LGOURMET
Message 27 of 30 (490 Views)

I haven't see your previous post.  I will look it up when I have time.  However, I am also running Windows Premium.  All I did was download the 8400 drivers and then installed the printer but chose the 8400 driver when it asks where to get the driver info.   This printer was always difficult install andthe software must be installed first before connecting the computer.

Top Student
LGOURMET
Message 28 of 30 (489 Views)

May be the difference is that I installed mine from a choice of "installed printer" or "network printer".  The 8400 didn't show up on the installed printer list, but did show up on the network printer list because when I installed it originally I chose that option.  I know this probably may not make much sense, but the steps you described were similar to mine with only my choosing the network option.

Top Student
HPTestingGuy
Message 29 of 30 (472 Views)

LGOURMET wrote:

May be the difference is that I installed mine from a choice of "installed printer" or "network printer".  The 8400 didn't show up on the installed printer list, but did show up on the network printer list because when I installed it originally I chose that option.  I know this probably may not make much sense, but the steps you described were similar to mine with only my choosing the network option.

Perhaps you can give me the exact steps you did to get your 990C or 8400 Printer installed.   As the clarity in your response would be necessary for me to proceed.

if I select Networked printer -- it is looking for a printer at some IP address or hostname.   The HP1218 I have is connected via USB.

So when you installed the driver did you

1.  Right click and seelct Add a local printer -- or did you select Add a network printer?

-- I selected -- Add a Local Printer

-- if I select add network printer -- I have to identify by IP address or Host name

2.  "use an existing port" -- then selected -- what?

-- I selected USB001 Virual printer port for USB -- I also tried USB001(local USB)

3.  Search for printer -- selected HP, and HP Photosmart 8400 Series

I presume you did not allow the computer to discover the device, meaning did you connect it to your computer, and allowed Windows 7 to load the driver?

I tried to just change the driver, but still could not get the print to work.

Thanks for your help on this.

Student
AndrewRH
Message 30 of 30 (205 Views)

[ Edited ]

With thanks to the people who commented in this thread, I have created a step-by-step guide - with screenshots - on how I got my 1218 printer working under Windows 7...

>> Installing HP PhotoSmart 1218 on Windows 7 <<

Cheers,

~Andrew~

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation