Windows 7, LaserJet 1200, and collating copies (1499 Views)
Tutor
umiwangu
Message 1 of 5 (1,499 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 7, LaserJet 1200, and collating copies

I recently upgraded an office with new machines which came with Windows 7. Two secretaries are still using old HP LaserJet 1200s, and while I got them to print and scan, there's a problem with multiple copies. If I turn collation off, they can print multiple copies. Otherwise, it'll only do one copy. Anyone else run into this? Any ideas on how to get the old printer to both do multiple copies and collate? Thanks! Seth
Tutor
umiwangu
Message 2 of 5 (1,466 Views)

Re: Windows 7, LaserJet 1200, and collating copies

For anyone who comes across a similar problem, I found a solution in this thread: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/LaserJet-1200-and-Multiple-Copies/m-p/1161674/highlig...

The tread is pretty long, but in the end, I followed these simple instructions and now multiple copies with collating is working.

"The problem is caused by Mopier Mode being enabled by default.  The idea of Mopier Mode is to minimize computer and network traffic by sending only 1 copy to a printer equipped with suitable internal memory.  That stored copy is then used to produce the multiple copies.  Most LaserJets do not have suitable internal memory and so the one copy sent by the computer gets printed.  To disable Mopier Mode:

1. click Start

2. click Devices and Printers

3. right click on your LaserJet printer

4. select Printer Properties

5. click the Device Settings tab

6. scroll down to the botom

7. click on Mopier Mode

8. select Disable

9. click apply."

Done!

Student
dmcneillsf
Message 3 of 5 (1,421 Views)

That's great that you found a solution to this ridiculous problem.  I have an hp 1200 and it works great.  Does it make sense that "mopier mode" is needed to print multiple copies without changing a fixed driver default?

This just provides additional confirmation that HP is trying to enforce obsolescence of their products by installing junk on their windows 7 drivers.  I had a perfectly good hp 5150 inkjet and I had to dump because HP didn't include the toolbox to clean and align it when they wrote the windows 7 driver. 

This is so pathetic.  HP used to make great printers.  I replaced the inkjet with a Canon. 

Tutor
umiwangu
Message 4 of 5 (1,417 Views)

Too right. It's actually a 1220 and it's a perfectly good scanner too, but only with XP. The ReadIris software that comes with the disk will not work with Windows 7 and it's several hundred dollars to get a current version. I'm half tempted to download a pirated copy.

And you know rightly that any scanner/printer you get these days (unless you shell out the big bucks) will not last nearly as long as the old ones did.

Student
RDEdwards
Message 5 of 5 (1,224 Views)

When I disabled the mopier option, it prints multiple copies, but will NOT collate even if it is selected.

I was able to do that by turning off collating befopre I disanbled mopier. This is not a reolution for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation