Question

Student
AMorris1
Message 1 of 31 (51,250 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 LaserJet 6P Driver Not Working

I have Windows 7 and LaserJet 6P/MP.  The updated Windows 7 driver does not work.  I notice others with this issue?  Is there a driver available.  How can I obtain it?

Student
Mupes
Message 2 of 31 (51,064 Views)

Re: Windows 7 LaserJet 6P Driver Not Working

DITTO!!  I have Windows 7 (64-bit) and LaserJet 6P (best, most bullet-proof printer I've ever owned), but the Windows Update drivers do not appear to work.  Keep getting "Printer Busy or Error."  I REALLY want to use this printer!!

Student
susanashley
Message 3 of 31 (50,612 Views)

DITTO

i have same problem

I have a windows 7 laptop and I want to use my laserjet 6p with it. I get a error message when I try to print. I really want to get this printer to work. Is there a universal driver that would work with 64 bit windows 7?

Student
maxpb
Message 4 of 31 (50,000 Views)

Did anyone find the solution in the mean time? Just tried to install my 6P on a new PC with Windows 7, but the PC does not find the printer,

Top Student
svenfjord
Message 5 of 31 (49,985 Views)

I just found the answer.  Good lord!  This has been one, long exercise in futility.  Win7 is great, but this was the most difficult connect to a printer in my windows life.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/f33cc68b-8205-4596-aa01-df...

The trick, in summary: add the printer as if it were locally connected.  When it provides the list of printers to select, where your 6MP won't be listed, click on "Windows Update".  It will update that list with the 6MP driver compatible with Win7 64.  Once you have the driver installed, re-run the install process for your networked 6MP.  Good to go.  Just printed my test page.  :smileyvery-happy: 

Good luck!

Honor Student
jamesrhull
Message 6 of 31 (49,935 Views)

I am in the same boat.  Just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7.  Hooked my LaserJet 6p up through a USB to Parallel DB25 Adapter Cable.  I tried to add a local printer, but found my printer was not listed under the HP products.  Clicked the Update Windows button, but after the update my HP LaserJet 6p was still not listed.  Any idea how to get this printer installed? I am about to pull my hair out.

Honor Student
jamesrhull
Message 7 of 31 (49,935 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 installed.  I tried to add my HP LaserJet 6p as a local printer, but no driver was found.  I clicked the Update Windows button, but still no listing for LaserJet 6p after the update.  Any ideas on how to get this printer installed??

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 31 (49,931 Views)

jamesrhull wrote:

I am having the same problem.  I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 installed.  I tried to add my HP LaserJet 6p as a local printer, but no driver was found.  I clicked the Update Windows button, but still no listing for LaserJet 6p after the update.  Any ideas on how to get this printer installed??

The printer is listed under HP, not Hewlett-Packard.  Click on Windows Update in the Add a Printer dialog, it should take a few minutes to update the list.

912iBF99DB10322AAB7E

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 31 (49,868 Views)

The 6P is listed under HP, not Hewlett Packard. 

1018i3C5D6756F748D8FA

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
rmagarian
Message 10 of 31 (49,477 Views)

Bob,

I tried to print from Win 7 64 bit to my HP 6mp Postscript printer 10 months ago and gave up, but now I'm seeing progress I hope on solving this issue.  For months now I've been printing thru my old HP laptop running XP thru the LAN.  But it would be nice to not have to have two computers running to print.  As per your instructions below, one step before this is selecting the printer port.  I've got a long list, but not sure which one to use.  Any guidance?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation