Question
Windows 7 RC and ScanJet G4050 Scanner
Replies (32)

Honor Student
Dimsdale
Message 11 of 33 (4,510 Views)

Re: Windows 7 RC and ScanJet G4050 Scanner

This page bears no resemblance to the truth.  I have searched daily for drivers for my G4050 scanner, and continue to be disappointed, particularly in view of the fact that the other scanners I considered all, I repeat, ALL, have both 32 and 64 bit drivers and software.

It has been over two months since the public release of Windows 7..................................................

Honor Student
helzayat
Message 12 of 33 (4,498 Views)

I feel the same way. It is a disgrace that in the 3 months I've had my G4050, the only way I can use it is by rebooting into 32-bit Windows XP Pro, when I do all my other work in Windows 7 64-bit. I spent a good part of an evening online with HP support with nothing being resolved. I was told I would hear from them by email, that has not happened. When will it be possible to use a CURRENT scanner with a CURRENT operating system without crashing the computer? We're not asking for Windows 95 support for a new scanner or Windows 7 support for an old SCSI scanner!

Honor Student
budcampo
Message 13 of 33 (4,477 Views)

I called HP support twice and they gave me false dates of when the driver will be released, last I called was about 3 weeks ago and they said they already had the driver ready, and it would be released December 25th.... well Christmas came and still no drivers.  If it's ready, why is it not being released, and if it's not ready what is the excuse for them being so late!

I did the whole installation in compatibility mode too, which worked for a couple days, but Windows 7 must have updated and now it doesn't work in compatibility mode. 

It's a nice scanner, but I can't use it.  Windows 7 is a main stream operating system, this is ridiculous.  I am going to stray away from HP as much as possible.  Quality obviously doesn't come before quantity for HP!

I think the only possibility is having 2 operating systems on my computer:robotmad:

Student
gpap
Message 14 of 33 (4,427 Views)

Same experiences as mentioned already, but can make the beast work with Adobe Acrobat to scan a searchable pdf (it uses its own OCR). I can also scan photographs through native scanner drivers, then just crop the full page into the multiple images.

BUT I cannot turn on the TMA bulb for negatives and slides, which is one of the main reasons I bought this scanner. Even if HP can't find the smarts to rewrite the full install for Windows 7, at least they should be able to publish a driver which turns on a bulb (does anyone know a bootleg way to turn on the TMA backlight ?)

Honor Student
budcampo
Message 15 of 33 (4,254 Views)

HP is way behind, I'm taking this thing back.  They are not listening to their customers, they won't give any hint to how long till the drivers come out.  It's bad business!

Student
skidner001
Message 16 of 33 (4,170 Views)

I find HP's level of service absolutely appalling.  The Scanjet G4050 is an expensive piece of kit and HP should have ensured that Windows 7 drivers were available from (Windows) launch.  If you're thinking of buying an HP product, think very carefully before committing yourself.  I won't be doing so again.

Student
nwds
Message 17 of 33 (4,158 Views)

I have a HP 5590 scanjet and it works with windows 7, but the option to scan as a pdf is gone.  I can scan as a jpeg.  Any advice or downloads would be great!

Student
reiffs
Message 18 of 33 (4,103 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi if you have a link to a working set of drivers and HP Scanjet software for the HP Scanjet G4050 please share the link.

You can send it to [email removed for privacy]

I can not seem to find it on the site myself...

thanks in advance

Tutor
papadude
Message 19 of 33 (3,919 Views)

Hi, I just got off the phone (again) with HP, and I'm now being told late Feb./early Mar. before a driver is available for the Scanjet G4050 wtih Windows 7 OS. I just don't get it! Does anyone else think there is some problem going on between Microsoft and HP? I can use the 'basic' scan functions, but not the film and slide scanning features, which is precisely why I bought it to begin with!

Papadude
Student
rharris270
Message 20 of 33 (3,448 Views)

While HP may not have a Win7 specific set of software and drivers, they do offer a download of a Vista set that works well under Win7 (home premium 64-bit).  Below is an email sent to me by HP support.  I did what they said and the scanner works in all ways that I have tried.  Note carefully the requirement to apply Vista compatibility mode on the EXE file, before double-clicking it.  Good luck.

From the details provided in your e-mail, I understand that you want to install your HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Scanner in Windows 7.

I would like to inform you that as of now, we not have the full feature software especially for Windows 7.

In order to troubleshoot this issue, I suggest that we can try installing the vista compatible software in compatibility mode.

Please visit the URL given below to download the software for your scanner:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL17370/sj-50004-1/setup_full_G4000.exe

Please follow the given steps to install the software:
1. Click on the link and then on “Download” tab
2. Now a small download window will open, please select “save” and select the destination as “Desktop”. Now the software will get downloaded in your system.
3. Please right-click on the file and select properties.
4. Now select 'compatibility' tab
5. Now check mark on 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select windows Vista from the drop down list
6. Then click on 'Apply and OK'.

Please try installing the software now by double clicking on the downloaded file and check if it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation