Question
Windows 7 RC and ScanJet G4050 Scanner
Replies (32)

Student
kipper327
Message 21 of 33 (1,479 Views)

Re: Windows 7 RC and ScanJet G4050 Scanner

I have just recently bought a new PC with Windows 7 and also have a hp scanjet 4050 which i am now unable to use the pdf or slide transparency functionality on. W7 won't recognise my original installation disc for the scanjet so i had to download the latest drivers. The url provided under the help stream above no longer works - but it looked the most promising solution to date. Has anyone solved this yet?

Student
oldmatey
Message 22 of 33 (1,443 Views)

Can you herlp find the proper driver for the HP G4050 scanner using windows 7. I'll wait to hear from you. Thanks . (Steve)

Student
Woodbear99
Message 23 of 33 (1,347 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes please send me the link.   I am awaiting arrival of an HP Scanjet G4050 scanner that I bid on and obtained on Ebay  but I have a Windows 7 OS and now I find that the software may not be compatible....Thank you for your help.

[edit: personal info removed for your safety]

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 24 of 33 (1,346 Views)

The link here worked for me to download the driver (but I cannot test it, I do not have a G4050).

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
mtjannet
Message 25 of 33 (1,163 Views)

I would really appeciate it if you could tell me how you got Windows 7 working with the scanner

Honor Student
mtjannet
Message 26 of 33 (1,154 Views)

I would like to know also

Student
k-man
Message 27 of 33 (1,010 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and ScanJet G4050 Scanner

where can i find a driver for windows 7 home edition that will work with a hp scanjet G4050

Student
jdoyle
Message 28 of 33 (952 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and ScanJet G4050 Scanner

The previous suggestion to use a Vista driver (run in compatibility mode) does not work on Windows 7 Pro (SP1).
Infact it actually made things worse, the scanner was just an "unknown device" after following the above instructions.

While HP has a driver for Windows 7 (i'm using 32bit)... it doesn't allow for scanning to PDF,only to image files...

Student
reasontakavada
Message 29 of 33 (806 Views)

Tried to install drivers for scanjet G4050. The cd have got G4000 drivers, do they work for this scanner. Its a brand new. Please help.
Student
knightshade12
Message 30 of 33 (634 Views)

After many hours of battling with this problem I succeeded in getting a g4010 printer to install on an AMD C60 processor running windows 7 64bit SP1.

A bit of background:

Tried everything listed on the net, no success. + usual install in safe mode etc. No joy at all. I am an IT professional

This is what worked for me. This a stupid workaround and HP need shooting for making something so unbelievably bad!

Download the latest (full) driver from HP site

Download patch file from here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03030583

(probably irrelevent if you don't have an amd C50/60 processor)

Ensure you have 'show hidden files and folders' ticked and untick 'hide protected oporating system files'

Create an easily accessible folder and keep it open.

Open the 'username'\appdata\local\temp folder.

Run the full driver install package.

You'll notice when the installer runs it creates a folder called 'random characters'.tmp (when the installer fails the folder will dissapear). So you have to be quick. When the files have finished extracting, copy everything in the .tmp file and paste it into the new folder you created. You have about 3or 4 seconds to copy them, maybe more on a slow machine - it may take a few tries to get it right. If the installer fails with 'can't find file.....' you haven't got them all.

If you have an AMD processor, run the patch pointing the 'extract file' to the new folder you created - skip if you haven't.

Run the setup.exe file in the new folder you created, the scanner software will install without a hitch.

A few things you may want to try (I haven't tested so don't know)

If you have a computer that you can get this to install on then you can copy the files from that pc's temp folder?

If HP would post their install files in a .zip format then this problem may go away? For me it seemed a problem with the executable install package...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation