Re: Windows 7 and DeskJet 6988 (182 Views)
Honor Student
WynnsZ06
Message 1 of 8 (1,633 Views)

Windows 7 and DeskJet 6988

Got a new Windows 7 64-bit laptop. My wife uses the Deskjet 6988 to print pictures. I connected using a USB cable as usual.

Unfortunately the there is no Services tab under Pinting Preferences which gives access to the Tool Box. Consequenly the ability to check ink levels or do any of the device services -  Align the Print Cartridges, Clean thr Pint Cartridge(s), Calibrtate Color, etc. are not available. How do I get the full product functionality I paid for and had under Vista.

Master's Graduate
kikokixz
Message 2 of 8 (1,630 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and DeskJet 6988

Hi,

The full feature software and driver package of your printer for windows 7 is not yet available, that is why you have limited product functionality ie checking ink levels. Please check this information, click here.

Kiko
Honor Student
WynnsZ06
Message 3 of 8 (1,613 Views)

Hi Kiko,

When will the full feature software and driver package for windows 7 for the DeskJet 6988  be available? This is a current printer and Windows 7 didn't just fall out of the sky on October 22, 2009.

Regards,

Wynn

Master's Graduate
kikokixz
Message 4 of 8 (1,607 Views)

hi,

The link i mentioned above doesn't say when the full feature of the printer will be released. It just says the ff:
" A full feature software and driver package for Windows 7 is not available for your product. However, the Windows 7 operating system installed on your computer contains a basic driver solution for your product.
With the basic driver, the buttons on the product do not function and some of the advanced product features are not available. However, using the workaround procedures...you can still print from a software program."

happy holidays!! :smileyhappy:

Kiko
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 8 (1,594 Views)

The link here would suggest there are not any plans for a Windows 7 driver for the Deskjet 6988 beyond what is included in Windows 7.  On the other hand, the driver is rather full y featured, and does include color control features as shown below (advanced colorsettings in the Color tab.  Alignment is performed automatically by the printer when a new cartridge is installed, it it not necessary to perform any manual steps to align.

6980.png

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
WynnsZ06
Message 6 of 8 (1,579 Views)

Bob,

I guess your idea of fully featured and my idea are two totally different things. The Toolbox is completely gone.

I found another post whicj may present a solution.  But rest assured, lack of product support is a non-starter for this former customer.

:smileysad:

Top Student
audioeditor
Message 7 of 8 (190 Views)

I agree 100 %. I've owned many HP printers and many cheaper HP printers but they've all had ink level software until this one - Deskjet 6988. I would not have bought this printer if I had known there was no way to see the ink levels. The only possible reason for leaving it off is HP decided they'd sell more ink if the user just replaced both cartridges every time the little gold light appeared.  And who knows you might have 100 pages left but you'll never know that because you can't chek the ink levels. Really a sorry move HP. You had the technology years before this printer even came on the market. The only reason you could have for not including the levels is greed.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 8 (182 Views)

The ink levels for the Deskjet 6922 can be found as shown in this document.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation