Question

Top Student
cw4rotorhead
Message 1 of 11 (7,726 Views)

Windows 7 and Deskjet F4180 printer driver

I have downloaded the Win 7 driver package 4 times. Followed every step on the solutions page. Installed the USB VISTA to Windows 7 patch. Used another program - "Driver Detective" - and Windows update but the driver for the printer will not install.

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate. The driver package I downloaded today (Aug 11,2010).

My system is Intel 2 Duo 2.8 ghz & 4 Gbs Ram. HP F4180 All-In-One  with USB 2 Connection.

The driver package I used under Vista was downloaded from HP in Jan 2010.

Please help - I am out of ideas...

Thanks

Intern
CDGuru
Message 2 of 11 (7,708 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and Deskjet F4180 printer driver

Just to be sure, you're installing the Full Features Software and Drivers for the correct OS (32-bit / 64-bit). Then the driver is installed correctly?

Only after the driver is installed and working correctly should you apply the patch. The patch only helps once the drivers are installed correctly.

Patch: "This Windows 7 patch fixes some printer functionality after upgrading Vista to Windows 7. For networked printers, please go to www.hp.com for more support information."

System Requirement: This patch will not install properly if you do not have the original software already installed.

If you do not have a working printer, you should not start the installation of the patch. Try deleting all the files downloaded, all drivers already on your PC. Disconnect your printer via the USB cable from your computer and download and install again. Do not plug in your printer until you are prompted to do so.

Windows 7 (32-bit)

Windows 7 (64-bit)

CDGuru

Top Student
cw4rotorhead
Message 3 of 11 (7,707 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I am using the 32 bit Windows 7. I did everything you said before from deleting everything (VISTA Drivers) and software package. I did not connect the USB chord or power on the printer until prompted to do so each time (4 times) to no avail.

I downloaded the software & driver package 4 times for Windows 7 32 bit. Each time doing each step as per both the support and forum.

The driver just will not install & therefore the software package doesn't work.

Does Windows 7 and HP support the Deskjet F4180 All-In-One printer? I think I have wasted my money on the printer and it is only 7 mos old.

Any Ideas???

Thank You again for your reply

Intern
CDGuru
Message 4 of 11 (7,706 Views)

I know this can be frustrating, but now it looks like we'll need to do some troubleshooting. The Printer is indeed supported for Windows 7.

Lets start here.

1. The software program is telling you that the installation is complete, when it prompts you to print a test page, what happens? Are you getting an error message on screen, or does it stay blank? Have you tried finding your printer in your control panel?

Top Student
cw4rotorhead
Message 5 of 11 (7,695 Views)

I get to the point during installation that when it tells me to connect the printer. It then says it is detected and continues to install but then ( after a period of time) it says installation failed. The Icon in the system tray - bottom right - shows a red X. When I go to the "Devices and Printers" by clicking on the Windows logo on the bottom left it shows the printer with the correct name but with a yellow triangle and "!". Then when I go to properties it shows "No device driver installed or needed". I have tried checking the "Device Manager" under driver tab and it shows the same thing.

I never get past the initial installation of the software/driver package. It always gets to that point then says Installation Failed.

Thank you again for your reply

Top Student
cw4rotorhead
Message 6 of 11 (7,659 Views)

Somebody PLEASE help... I have tried to print a test page from Microsoft Office 2010 and OneNote but it will not print.

Right now, I have a 7 month old printer/copier/scanner that is totally worthless and does not work with Windows 7.

Isn't there some kind of fix from HP to support their products??? I have a new HP Laptop that has Windows 7 on it also and it does the same thing with this printer.

Do I have to buy a new printer and trash this one???

It is beyond me why HP doesn't support their products.

Student
bineetd
Message 7 of 11 (6,941 Views)

I am facing same problem like you on my HP F4180....... cw4rotorhead

Can anyone help??????

Top Student
cw4rotorhead
Message 8 of 11 (6,936 Views)

The only fix I got was I had to buy another printer. I guess HP will not support their products.

CW4 Rotorhead

Student
jacinth
Message 9 of 11 (6,745 Views)

i need drivers to run my f4180 printer on windows7

Honor Student
madscientist
Message 10 of 11 (6,419 Views)

Having same problem.  tried downloading drivers for windows 7 but still no success.  Does anyone have an answer except DON'T BUY A HP PRINTER

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation