Question
Windows 7 and HP Color LaserJet 3600N
Replies (79)

Tutor
royurrego
Message 41 of 80 (43,488 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and HP Color LaserJet 3600N

I installed the printer under Windows 7 and it works perfect. Here is how I did it by selecting Windows Vista 64-bit as my operating system:

1. Go to (copy the whole link and paste it in your browser)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=501045&p...

2. Download the driver as "HP Color LaserJet 3600 Host Based Driver" from the three options. It's a Zip (compressed) file) you can place anywhere in your HD named: HP_CLJ3600_64bit_HB.exe (14.4Mb). Save it (just in case) in your Desktop or Downloads folder and when finished, click on Run to run it. When prompted, click again in Run it and select the folder you want to uncompress the files (Default is C:/HP_CLJ3600_Driver) - You can Browse for a new location in your HD. When ready, click Unzip from the Window. When finished, close the window.

3. Use Windows Explorer to see the final uncompressed files (43) and verify the existence of the file hpc3600w.inf

4. From the Control Panel, look for Printers and Add a new one. Follow the prompts and select local/network connection. At the existing Port, select DOT4 (it won't work as LPT1). If you don't see right away, select the default LPT1. The DOT4 port will show up later (I don't know why - don't ask).

5. From the Install Printer Driver, select Have Disk and browse on your folder containing the .inf document.

6. Select the Printer (will be the one in the list, anyway) and click on Next. The printer is installed and ready to go. You can use the button to Print a Test Page.

If the procedure does not work, go to Properties and look for the DOT4 Port. That should do it.

Student
kingviper2
Message 42 of 80 (43,413 Views)

The above fix works, downloaded the vista 64bit driver, changed it from LPT1 to DOT4. My os on this pc is windows 7 premium 64-bit.

Student
carjaculate
Message 43 of 80 (42,380 Views)

I got my Win7 to print using the HP LJ 3600

here's how: i'll tell you the order i did stuff...

i downloaded the hp LJ 3600w.inf driver and installed it on a WinXP laptop. This was the driver recommended by 

ElDave in this forum:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=501046&p...

i then went to the C:\Programs files & C:\Windows\Sys32 in the XP-machine and copied all the dll files. (get all hp files)

Shortcut to do this is just search "hp" in the search folder option and copy the files. pls remember which goes where...

i copied these files in exact folders there were in the XP machine to the Win7 machine,,, for example

i created a HP folder in the Program Files folder in Win7 machine 'coz it was not there then pasted the dll files from the XP respective folder. because i'd attempted to install the drivers b4 (which failed to print the 1st time) i was asked to replace existing files, i said YES to all!

i went to "add printer" in my Win7 machine, there was already "HP Color Laserjet 3600" in the add printer list. (this did not work earlier) make sure you do 'windows update' within the 'add printer' window if you do not see it.

Do everything, as you would normally, in adding printer, when asked to replace existing Hp drivers, select, Keep Existing files. AND Viola! 

The printer roared to print a test PAGE.

Now i got access to a color printer i've not been able to use for close to 1 yr.

Sht hp why you make us go thru' this sht!!

Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 44 of 80 (42,224 Views)

It is obvious ... You have sorely mistaken them (HP) for someone who cares!

Student
arthurmek
Message 45 of 80 (41,361 Views)

It is unbelivable ! HP is really stealing : Still no driver.

They sell printer taht should last years but do not support the drivers.

It is first robbery and it is really bad for the environement.

When a driver will be released ?????

Student
Caroyl
Message 46 of 80 (41,210 Views)

Did you try any of the pervious fixes above?

I tried but couldnot get the hp3600w..inf file.  It was not one of the 43 files downloaded.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 47 of 80 (41,196 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

Download and install the full solution software for this printer at the link below.

Full software solution for the HP Color LaserJet 3600 Printer series

HP LaserJet - Windows 7 support

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 48 of 80 (41,159 Views)

Dear pcwizard ... plz read 2nd msg in this thread and answer me to why narry a peep from hp until you come looking for a pat on the back?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 49 of 80 (41,144 Views)

Hi MoreTickedOff, 

Follow the steps at the link in my last post to install the 3600 printer in Win 7. The is no driver for Win 7 as the Vista driver works in Win 7. Let me know if you get the printer installed using the steps in the provided document.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
CLRupp
Message 50 of 80 (41,137 Views)

Hi,

I guess I have got to ask why I wasn't told this in Oct 2009 when this thread started?   The thread now has 40,000+ views.   If it is so simple, why doesn't HP simply list Vista drivers for Windows 7?   I know that pcwizard is an HP employee so why not a name, a HP email address, etc?  Why not an official post from HP?  Or is HP still not officially supporting this HP3600 line of printers?

Getting HP to address formally has been struggle.   I have even tried by using professional contacts with HP sales and engineering staff for a major Federal Agency.   Amazing how these questions just went to a black hole.

So pcwizard, I don't think HP deserves "kudos" to take 2+ years to put an answer out the backdoor rather promising to support their products.    Maybe I too picky?   Maybe HP could has sent an EOL notice to all the registered owners of HP3600?  (But of course, toner cartridges at $125 with 4 to set, may have too nice of revenue stream to do EOL properly).   Why do we register if end of support notices will not be sent to owners?   Is it to get our email address for junk mail?  Maybe HP should also include an unhappy face in the reply toolbar?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation