Question

Honor Student
tipfour
Message 1 of 34 (54,776 Views)

Windows 7 and HP2840 Network Scan driver

I use my HP2840 Color Laserjet All in one Printer as a network scanner. I cannnot find a driver for my machine. Microsoft expects the WS-Scan protocol for network scanning. On the HP driver support I read something about an additional network scan driver. I cannot find it. Pleas help me.

Honor Student
psycchic12
Message 2 of 34 (54,813 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and HP2840 Network Scan driver

I am having the exact same trouble. HP, Please advise or provide a proper driver so that we may use all of the functionality within the HP2840. As the HP2840 required a significant investment, I DO hope that there will be a driver soon for Windows 7 that actually works. Thank you!
Tutor
mx727
Message 3 of 34 (54,633 Views)

It's been two months and they haven't done anything.  There are some vague posts that you will run across that mention the end of January.  I've given up.  I do have an XP laptop that I can use for scans, it's a hassle, but I can get by for now.  But, I've learned my lesson.  I'm also making sure that I consider this experience whn I make recommendations to anyone that asks for advice when buying a new printer, be it in person or on any other forums.

Honor Student
psycchic12
Message 4 of 34 (54,624 Views)

Yes, this is extremely inconvenient. I telecommute 100% via home office. The HP2840 is my "life. Having the functionality limited to the same thing I can do with a $40 printer (versus about $900 that I spent for the 2840) is really pathetic. I understand that Windows 7, like any new software, poses functionality challenges for companies, but when there is no publicly made information on the HP website or elsewhere posted about when to expect a hot-fix, a driver release, etc., or even ACKNOWLEDGING THE PROBLEM, it makes me wonder... I'm not sure where to put the blame---MS or HP, or both or what....but it's ridiculous that there isn't even a post from HP that manages our expectations on what to expect next. They can't "not know" about this by now....
Teacher
RandomRabbit
Message 5 of 34 (54,571 Views)

As a workaround with the basic driver you can type your printer IP address into your web browser. This will allow you to scan using the Embedded Web Server.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Honor Student
tipfour
Message 6 of 34 (54,448 Views)

The webserver has a lot of configuration options, but no scanning option.

My workaround is using an xp virtual machine for network scanning, Starting up and shutting down this vm takes approx. 10 minutes. So I am desperately waiting for a suitable win7 network scandriver for this machine.

Student
7of9
Message 7 of 34 (53,625 Views)

Well we have now the 25th of January and many people are waiting for right WIN 7 - Scan Solution ...

I have still the same problem as described and I waste many hours  to read all the "not going things" of the 2840.

@HP-Support:

We nead really a simple network scan-solution.

Windows 7 will be the System for the next years and we all need the scan-option.

Student
MCRScott
Message 8 of 34 (53,511 Views)

HP tells me the sofware is not available yet and no time frame for providing a fix.   My office has four HP printers in the same situation.  WE WILL NEVER BUY AN HP PRINTER AGAIN

Student
gcullum
Message 9 of 34 (52,723 Views)

It's sad that HP has come to this.  There is just no way to keep your technology current when HP is in the mix.  I have several million dollars worth of printers and PCs to buy though and I look at it this way.  HP has done a huge service to me by making it easy to eliminate them as a vendor.

Student
Vankir1
Message 10 of 34 (51,965 Views)

Hi All,

I suppose I have found good workaround. I'm using TWAIN driver from http://www.scanworkssoftware.com/twainimporter.aspx

Kir

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation