Windows 7 driver HP 950c (8148 Views)
Student
callbr549
Message 1 of 9 (8,148 Views)

Windows 7 driver HP 950c

I can't get my HP 950C to work with my new Windows 7 computer. When I go to the HP website to download a driver it  tells me that the drivers for this printer are loaded in Windows 7, but I have looked extensively and cannot find them.  I cannot find any place to download the driver. The HP website just sends me in circles. Help!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 9 (8,132 Views)

Re: Windows 7 driver HP 950c

If this is the Deskjet 950c then the drivers are available through Windows Update as described here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
Doolittle
Message 3 of 9 (7,118 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, just wanted to share my solution to anyone searching on how to install the HP 950C driver manually (or any other non-local printer) on windows 7

Problem:  installing a network shared printer on windows 7 asks for INF file, and the HP install wizard will not continue if the printer is not detected locally via USB.

Solution:  Install the printer manually as a local printer first (and you will have a "dummy" printer and the proper INF definition), then the network install can continue normally.  

Steps to take:

1.  Go to Control Panel.

2.  Select Devices and Printers.

3.  At the top of the window, select Add a Printer.

4.  Select Add a Local Printer.

5.  In Choose a Printer Port, select Use an existing port.

6.  In the drop down menu, select the port where the printer is attached (I used parallel - USB, it may show USB001 Virtual Printer Port for USB).

7.  Select the Next Button.

8.  In the Manufacturers section, select HP.

9.  In the Printers section, look for your printer model and select it.

10.  Click the Windows Update Button.

11.  find your printer and click next (or ok) and this will install the proper driver (don't bother printing the test page :smileyhappy:

12.  browse to your network resource, right click on printer and select "connect".  

13. The printer should be installed and ready to print, right click and "set as default" if you wish.

cheers

Top Student
RonM77
Message 4 of 9 (5,865 Views)

Hello.  I know this is an old post, but hoping you can help me.  I followed your directions, but when I get to Step 12, I do not find a CONNECT option anywhere.  Can you help?

For clarification, I am trying to connect a Windows 7 laptop PC to a shared HP950C on a XP desktop PC.  The printer installs OK and works Ok as a USB connected local printer, but when i install it as a network printer and try to print, it says no driver is found.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 9 (5,862 Views)

Try the following: on the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, then select the proper HP Deskjet 950 or PSC 950 driver depending if you have the printer or the Printer/Scanner/Copier.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Top Student
RonM77
Message 6 of 9 (5,855 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I did already try this and still get the "no driver found" message when I try to print.  Now....does it matter if this is done before installing the printer as a direct connected USB printer?   Or, should I install the printer with a USB cable first, then disconnect it and reinstall as stated in your msg.?  The only thing I haven't tried is "changing" the installed printer's port from the USB port to a local port named //computername/printername.   Thoughts?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 9 (5,852 Views)

RonM77 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I did already try this and still get the "no driver found" message when I try to print.  Now....does it matter if this is done before installing the printer as a direct connected USB printer?   Or, should I install the printer with a USB cable first, then disconnect it and reinstall as stated in your msg.?  The only thing I haven't tried is "changing" the installed printer's port from the USB port to a local port named //computername/printername.   Thoughts?

Did you select the appropriate driver when setting up the shared printer as a local port?

That would also be an option - just install the printer on the Win 7 machine to USB, then go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the 950 and select Printer Properties, Ports, Add port and go from there.

You may need to click on "Windows Update" to get the Deskjet 950 to show up i the list of available drivers.

Top Student
RonM77
Message 8 of 9 (5,843 Views)

Yes, I did that and still get the "no driver" error.  The printer is found on the new port, and installs OK, but still won't print.

I'm wondering.....since the printer works OK as a USB printer, is there anyway I can just change the port from the USB port to a TCP/IP //hostname/printername port, without reinstalling the printer each time?  From what i can see, there is no way to just swap ports. 

Grrrr, it should not be this difficult to get a printer to wwork on Win7.  Interestingly, the very first time I installed this printer as a network printer pn the Win7 laptop, it installed and worked perfectly.  I didn't even have to install it as a USB first.  Then it quit working, so my last resort was to remove it and reinstall.....bringing me to where I am now.

Student
carmelino_diogo
Message 9 of 9 (445 Views)

hp deskjet 950 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation