11-08-2012 04:02 PM
Windows 8 has multiple types of drivers available to it. These drivers range from In-OS to full feature drivers.
One may wonder what these various drivers mean:
- In-OS drivers: “An in-OS driver is a basic driver that is already included in the operating system. You do not need to download or install any software from HP.”
- Windows Update driver: “When you connect the USB cable to the printer, and then to the computer, or Windows 8 detects that the printer is on the same network as the PC, Windows activates Windows Update. Windows Update searches online for the most recent printer driver on the Windows Update site. If the online driver is more recent than the driver stored in Windows, the computer downloads and installs the updated driver. The Windows Update process takes place automatically.”
- Full Feature drivers: “This installation provides full product functionality. HP also includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your printer.”
Where do I get these full feature drivers you mention?
There are two (2) main options for how to do this:
If you bought your printer before the release of Windows 8 to the public, then chances are good that CD that came with the printer will not work for the Windows 8 OS.
Option 1) Use the HP Printer Install Wizard by clicking on the link below:
*NOTE: The Printer Install Wizard is not available for all HP printers, and is available only for the Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating systems.
Option 2) Download and run the full feature software from the HP support website.
- Once the window loads you will see a blue map of the world.
- Select your region by clicking on the map where you are located
- This will give you a screen like the one below:
- Select Drivers & Software
- Type in the name of the printer or product name
- This will bring you to a screen where you can select the Operating System of the computer
- After clicking next, you will be able to scroll down and find the download options.
Note on 3rd party web sites offering HP printer drivers:
“If you use an Internet search engine like Google or Bing to search for Windows 8 drivers for your HP printer, you will likely come across non-HP sites offering HP drivers or download “services” for HP drivers, often for a fee. You should know that you don’t have to pay to obtain Windows 8 printer drivers for HP products. You can download them for free from HP Customer Care, install them from the Windows 8 operating system (“In OS”), or obtain them using Windows Update, depending on the type of driver available for your product.”
The information for this post comes from:
I am not an HP employee.
This question was solved. View Solution.
Re: Windows 8 Drivers
11-08-2012 04:02 PM
Hope this is useful everyone!