Question

Honor Student
ad2965
Message 1 of 9 (1,872 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows RT and no driver for HP Photosmart C6280

I have a new Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 RT.  I've connected to my PC homegroup network and can "see" my HP Photosmart C6280 printer.  When I try to install the printer it says that I need a driver for RT, but I don't see how to download one.  All attempts to do so on HP's website came up empty.  Windows RT wants an .inf file.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I've tried suggestions to download the HP apps, but they don't seem to "see" the printer on the homegroup.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 9 (1,855 Views)

Re: Windows RT and no driver for HP Photosmart C6280

Hi,

I afraid your printer is not supported on Windows 8 RT.

The OS only supported printers which already include the printer drivers within the OS (In-OS driver),

The C6280 only provided with Full Feature or Windows Update driver solutions, which are not compatible with Win8 RT.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 3 of 9 (1,782 Views)

I believe thos drivers have now been released, follow this link and you should be able to select your OS to find the correct driver package: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3194498

Happy Holidays! 

Honor Student
ad2965
Message 4 of 9 (1,774 Views)

I tried your link neonskeleton but no luck.  Looks like HP has a driver for Windows 8, but not for RT yet.  Hopefully they are working on it.  Thanks

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 5 of 9 (1,771 Views)

I believe you are talking about the OS for the tablet and other ARM processor devices? In that case you can go to Devices and Printers and you can slect your printer which should havea basic driver accessible over your network for printing. There are also apps on the marketplace for printing as well. 

Additionally the Scan and Capture app can allow you to scan from your printer to your device. This would give you a majority of the functionality of the printer.

Happy holidays! 

Intern
CodyE
Message 6 of 9 (1,743 Views)

An option to try is to use the HP Photosmart PCL3 Class Driver driver that is inbox with the Windows RT OS.  When adding a driver, select HP for the Manufacturer, and scroll near the bottom of the Printers list, and there should be an entry for the HP Photosmart PCL3 Class Driver.  This driver will enable basic print functionality for your device.

I work for HP.
Student
paulpeg
Message 7 of 9 (1,451 Views)

You sir, are a life saver!!

Thank you so much as I had the same problem as the above poster.

the PcL3 class driver works just fine!!

Student
Tage-Hejne
Message 8 of 9 (1,014 Views)

Just to inform you that the photosmart plc3 also works for c7180 on the windows rt platform.

Tutor
fliersrr
Message 9 of 9 (13 Views)

Thank you.  My HP C7180 All-In-One now works perfect with my Surface 2, Windows RT.  Great information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation