Question

Tutor
ChrisATX
Message 1 of 7 (5,383 Views)

c309a duplex option cannot print in black ink only - wastes color ink instead

[ Edited ]

There is clearly a big bug in your drivers, either a mistake or intentional.

Whenever I want to print pages in draft quality, duplex and using only black ink, the option of only black ink becomes unavailable.

The only option there is high quality! So whenever somebody prints in duplex, the ink actually decreases faster.

I was shocked to find that my printer was complaining this morning that the color ink cartridges were near empty. I checked them last week and have printed NO pages in ink for the whole week. I only printed in draft black ink only and in duplex draft black... So apparently it is using up my color ink each time I print in duplex.

Very clever! Save paper..... Instead let's waste ink, time and money!

Please fix this as there is no use having a duplex function if you can't print using only black ink.

Message Edited by ChrisATX on 11-04-2009 06:15 AM
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (5,367 Views)

Re: c309a duplex option cannot print in black ink only - wastes color ink instead

ChrisATX wrote:

There is clearly a big bug in your drivers, either a mistake or intentional.

Whenever I want to print pages in draft quality, duplex and using only black ink, the option of only black ink becomes unavailable.

The only option there is high quality! So whenever somebody prints in duplex, the ink actually decreases faster.

I was shocked to find that my printer was complaining this morning that the color ink cartridges were near empty. I checked them last week and have printed NO pages in ink for the whole week. I only printed in draft black ink only and in duplex draft black... So apparently it is using up my color ink each time I print in duplex.

There are two different issues here.  Firstly, when the printer is using the duplexer it underprints black with a small amount of color on the front side.  This is to "set" the balck ink.  This causes the ink to dry faster and prevents smearing as the paper is drawn back into the printer to print the back side.

Secondly, this printer has semi-permanant printheads that would become clogged if left out in the air without some servicing.  A further description of this can be found here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
ChrisATX
Message 3 of 7 (5,348 Views)

Re: c309a duplex option cannot print in black ink only - wastes color ink instead

Thank you for the information.

I am however of the opinion that customers should be made aware of this before their purchase. When people buy a duplex printer they do so to save on paper and ink and don't expect as a result to see a whole in their wallet by using the 3 color cartridges at the same time.

I do think this should be resolved by the printer driver as follows:

Currently one is able to print in black only mode when the duplex function is not used. So when one use manual duplex (turning the pages around after they have been printed) and starting the process again, then no color ink is used. However, nobody buys a duplex-capable printer to turn the pages around themselves.

As you stated, it is to speed up the drying process and prevent smearing.

I am perfectly OK with the prints taking twice as long as most users don't have the printer running for 24 hours. So I would suggest to add an option to the driver (it already had a plethora of boxes and options so this important one would make a good addition) to make the black ink only available, not coat the front side with color ink but let it dry longer before printing the back side.

I think this will prove that HP is serious about their 'green efforts' as well as their client bases' investments as right now this coating technique on the duplex wastes more money and resources that it saves.

Student
dsboulder
Message 4 of 7 (5,290 Views)

I have the exact same complaint!  My HP officejet 6500 cannot print "black ink only" when the duplexer is used.  I almost never print color, and it always runs out first.  I suspect turning off the duplexer would help, but I can't waste paper like that!  People should know about this software limitation before buying a 6500.  It seems like it could be easily solved with longer ink drying time (a setting that's already in the driver).

Top Student
NCRabin
Message 5 of 7 (5,003 Views)

My HP OfficeJet 6500 E709a DOES NOT HAVE  a DUPLEXER,  so why does my printer driver prevent me from printing in  "Black Ink only"  if I change the "2-sided printing" option from "Off" to "Manually"?

[ The hp drivers page for the hp oj6500 lists 3 models: E709a, E709n [wireless, network], and, E709q [wireless] .  ]

[ I happen to have my 'Ink Volume' set to '1/4' setting [on the sliding selector], and I keep my [ink]  'Dry[ing] Time' set as 'Automatic'. ]

Black ink is black ink, and I really never had much of a problem, with ink smudging, printing manual double sided, black-ink only, printouts for the 7 prior years of using my HP DeskJet 950C.

Please urge HP to fix this obvious BUG  [or  suddenly-after-all-these-years   horribly-'over-protective'  'feature']    in their driver software.   Don't you yourself prefer to save ink by printing blank-ink only!    Don't you yourself prefer typically,  in many instances,  to print double-sided,  to save paper (and to save desk space or paper-folder space)?

[I notice that the printer driver for Windows XP [which I use], and Windows Vista are dated March 2009, and that the driver  for the new Windows 7 is dated November 2009.  But note - they updated the firmware in late-October 2009.]

I bought the HP 6500 E709a in mid-July 2009, and I notice that it has been on sale at times since then at Best Buy [at least once] and at Staples.    That's A LOT OF UN-HAPPY owners of this printer who could become happier   from an easy-to-do fixon a no-duplexer printer!!

Thank you for considering using your influence on this.

Student
sauac
Message 6 of 7 (4,411 Views)

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with ChrisATX. I've recently purchased a Photosmart premium 309g and love the look and functionality of the printer (this is the first printer I’ve ever owned).

However when I noticed the lack of a "black ink only" option when duplex printing is selected my immediate reaction was "Foul Play"!!!!!!!

What are you trying here HP!!

I've read through the answer by Bob Headrick and it all makes perfect sense. However a good explanation can be given for anything when backed by sound reasoning.

It does not however change the fact that you can print in "black ink only" mode when using non duplex settings then put the paper back in the tray and print on the other side with no perceivable ill effect to the printer or printout.

So duplex printing saves the earth and also Hp’s profits!!!

Honor Student
rugurlu
Message 7 of 7 (3,438 Views)

lies lies lies... HP still lying to us. when printing only a small amount of color ink added to black ink. Therefore my b-w pages printed in yellow, red or whatever in color although black ink cartridges full. Yessss, my black ink full, but not used to print black-white text with duplexer, instead only color ink is used, some pages blue, some red and some of them yellow (according to finish time of color ink) What a technology... I advice to all never buy an HP again. Note: You can override this by using hp officejet v40 drivers. But beware, it is not fully compatible
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation