Question

Top Student
ka6eegdon
Message 1 of 8 (745 Views)
Accepted Solution

c4780 will not install in win7

My two HP Photosmart C4780 Printers will not install in windows 7 32bit or 64bit.  I tried 3 different computers

utilizing the specified software PS_AIO_06_C4700_USW_Full_Win_enu_140_175.exe

And the computers refuse to install this driver under win7.

On windows xp, these same printers install without any difficulty.

Teacher
vthapa
Message 2 of 8 (726 Views)

Re: c4780 will not install in win7

What happens when you try to install, what is the error you are getting?
Top Student
ka6eegdon
Message 3 of 8 (698 Views)

Depending on the stage of installation, it will respond either with: "no driver found for printer" or "has me to install new printer software"(which is actually the one I have been using) and then tells me that "driver not found" during automatic search for driver.  This result is from trying with two c4780 printers on three different computers using win7 software.  When trying to install these same printers utilizing supplied software in winxp, the printers install with no problems.  Thinking that it may be just me having the problem, I had my son try and has the same result.  I am quite fond of my printers and do not like the thought of having to go back to winxp to use them.  Whatinhell am I doing wrong?  I seem to be following the directions correctly but I am getting no where.?

Top Student
ka6eegdon
Message 4 of 8 (691 Views)

During installation,it will freeze at step number 6 for about 15min before skipping step 7 and going on to step 8 and states that "device setup has failed to complete" I selected 'Retry', and obtained the same result again.  I then pressed 'next' to continue installing the remaining software.  Once completed, the device is listed as "not connected" and "no driver was found" for printer.  Using Drivers and Printers Troubleshooter, it stated that "C4700 does not have a driver" and 'self installer' from taskbar "add a device" says "no driver found".

Teacher
vthapa
Message 5 of 8 (683 Views)

Try this..
First uninstall everything related to your printer
Explore the printer software folder if extracted from download go to run and type %temp% and look for folder starting with 7z and go to util>CCC and run uninstall L3
Than go to device manager and click on view>show hidden device and look for printer entries if any uninstall them and also look for multifunction adapter if exist uninstall that as well. Next restart your PC
Start the installation make sure to click on select software to install and uncheck everything except imaging device and solution center one of the driver will be selected by default.
Once the SW prompts to connect the USB cable assuming (USB connection) connect the USB cable and go to device manager and right click on the printer entries and select update driver and select browse my computer and navigate to the sw location and see how it goes.

Make sure you have the right driver for the printer
Top Student
ka6eegdon
Message 6 of 8 (668 Views)

Following the instructions, I reinstalled the printer using previously mentioned "Latest " driver, and obtained the same result.

After thoroughly removing driver again, I installed the printer basic griver only, which failed to install twice.  I resulted in the following exception message:

“C\Users\Sleepy\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS54AA\Setup\..\Setup\hpzprl40.exe” (Title of exception message)

“The system cannot find the file specified”

After typing 'ok', the program removed the driver and had me restart computer to finish deletion.

Is there some way of obtaining these absent files and reinserting?

I am sure that during the unpacking of the zipped program, these files get overlooked, somehow.

I have exhausetd all my ideas on this end.

I even reinstalled win7 (64bit) but still get the same results on this computer.  And on the other computer, I STILL have the same problems with win7 (32bit)  I have even defied the instructions, and left the printer connected with usb during iinstallation attempt. 

What am I overlooking?  Is there any possibility that the update from this site is actually the culprit?

Everything seems to point that way.

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 7 of 8 (636 Views)

Hi Ka6eegdon,

I thought that maybe this document would help make sure that the uninstall is complete.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-122272-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Services, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Installer. Check to see if it is Manual or Automatic.  and if the service has been stopped.  Should say Windows installer Status type(in the middle of page) :Automatic 

Service Status should say Started.

Then try reinstall downloading from  www.hp.com/support.

Please reply if you have other questions.

Thank You 

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
ka6eegdon
Message 8 of 8 (611 Views)

I have tried everything including removing all other programs to no avail.  Whatever the tag is, it did not installtil I made a fresh (virgin)  instal of win7. The problem is solved. Just to be sure it was not caused by a added program would not interfere, I installed the printer before installing anything else.  From what I have noticed from other users, maybe this cure might be considered earlier in the troubleshooting process.  I spent over a month with this problem before asking for your help 10 days ago.  Whew!  I am glad it is over now.  Thanks guys for trying to help me.  In a normal situation, your guidance would haveinstantly solved the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation