Question

Tutor
tripleb
Message 1 of 20 (51,816 Views)
Accepted Solution

cant print to hp deskjet 3420 for windows 7 no driver

I have an HP deskjet 3420 printer I am trying to set-up as a local printer to my PC. HP site does not have a driver for this printer and says to use deskjet 3600. When I look at my available printer drivers I can not find a 3600 printer driver. Also, went into windows update as the support instructions say and update could not find a driver. Tried to download a windows 7 driver for a deskjet 3600 and there instructions say to use windows update which had not worked for me. I have tried several other print drivers and have no luck with any of the ones I have chose. any help appreciated

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 20 (51,803 Views)

Re: cant print to hp deskjet 3420 for windows 7 no driver

tripleb wrote:

I have an HP deskjet 3420 printer I am trying to set-up as a local printer to my PC. HP site does not have a driver for this printer and says to use deskjet 3600. When I look at my available printer drivers I can not find a 3600 printer driver. Also, went into windows update as the support instructions say and update could not find a driver. Tried to download a windows 7 driver for a deskjet 3600 and there instructions say to use windows update which had not worked for me. I have tried several other print drivers and have no luck with any of the ones I have chose. any help appreciated

What have you tried to get Windows Update to work?  I would suggest the following:  go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a printer, Local Printer, LPt1:, when the list of printers comes up select Windows Update.  After several minutes the list of printers should be updated and the Deskjet 3600 should be in the updated list.  At this point click cancel and then install the driver as described here.

If there are issues please report here what step is failing and any error messages you receive.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Teacher
Navbond007
Message 3 of 20 (51,801 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

As Bob mentioned the Deskjet 3600 should still be listed. Here is the screen capture where I have DJ 3600 in the driver list. Also keep in mind to look under 'HP' section of the driver list and not 'Hewlett Packard'.

Updated3600.png 

Thanks

Naveen K

HP Support Engineering Center

Click on yellow KUDOS button to say thanks

(Although employed by HP, I'm trying to address the issues with my sole willingness and my employer does not bear any liability for my responses)

Message Edited by Navbond007 on 12-01-2009 09:26 AM
Message Edited by Navbond007 on 12-01-2009 09:27 AM
Tutor
tripleb
Message 4 of 20 (51,776 Views)

Ok, I went through the install process and after hitting windows update I found the following driver and used it. Hp deskjet 3600 (LIDIL). Installed the print and configured the printer to usb001 port. Then I sent a test page and the printer acts like it is printing. Print heads are moving back and forth and making noise as if printing. However it is printing a blank page. I know I have good ink cartridges just replace them. any ideas....It seems to be getting closer at least the printer is responding now. thanks 
Tutor
tripleb
Message 5 of 20 (51,759 Views)

Also, went through the advanced tab and looked for a driver with (microsoft) by it and did not have any luck
Tutor
tripleb
Message 6 of 20 (51,756 Views)

figured it out no need to go further thanks

Honor Student
johnremcastro
Message 7 of 20 (48,403 Views)

tripleb,

hi

i had the same problem as you:

under windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, I successfully installed the DJ 3600 (LIDIL) driver and changed ports to USB, and when printing, cartridges move back and forth, with sounds acting as if its printing, but its not... its producing blank pages. i tried replacing the cartridges with brand new ones, but to no avail

i see you solved your problem with your last post, but you didn't went into details.

I would really appreciate your help

just in case, anyone else have any ideas? tnx really 

Student
magy
Message 8 of 20 (40,916 Views)

3600 is not listed there

Student
t_payitforward
Message 9 of 20 (39,822 Views)

I had the same issue of not seeing the hp deskjet 3600 option.

Under the option window, I clicked on the "Windows Update", which updated the available driver list.

Once I did that, hp deskjet 3600 was an available option and I installed it.

Now my hp deskjet 3420 is working like a champ on Windows 7.

Student
snn_fatnani
Message 10 of 20 (31,683 Views)

I found the same problem..3600 is not displayed in the list. On clicking Windows update the window does not respond.

Msg is displayed..dat 'Windows is updating the list of printer drivers' but nothing happens even after several hours.

Pls help me solve my problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation