Question

Student
CaryBaskin
Message 1 of 3 (3,046 Views)

color laserjet 2840 software problems

Hello,

I just purchase an HP desktop with 64bit Vista Home edition and I've downloaded software off of HP's site and I still can't get the computer to recognize the printer. Just wondering if anyone could help me find the right software to make all the functions of the all-in-one 2840 work?  I would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cary 

Student
britboyintn
Message 2 of 3 (2,987 Views)

Re: color laserjet 2840 software problems

I had exactly the same problem and to some extent still do - HP driver & support website suggests 1 of 3 different drivers to install for a Vista 64 OS but this didn't seem to make much difference.  See details below:

Driver - Universal Print Driver

HP Universal Basic Driver 4.7    25 Nov 2008

HP Universal Print Driver for Windows x64 - PCL5 4.7    25 Nov 2008
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows x64 - PostScript 4.7     25 Nov 2008

What change everything for me was when I stopped connecting the computer via USB directly to my desktop and instead used a network cable and attached it to my router - problem resolved in under 2 minutes (Yes UNDER 2 minutes).  Not sure I know the how's and why's of the resolution, just that it worked - what else is there to care about???

Well actually, plenty - the scanner is not recognized by Vista 64 at this point and is therefore inoperable.  Was looking for solutions for that problem when I saw your post - good luck!

Simon

Honor Student
Sputnik
Message 3 of 3 (2,737 Views)

Re: color laserjet 2840 software problems

Hi Cary,

HP does not have a 64 Bit version of the full software available for the 2840 and does not show any signs of ever supporting 64 bit NT or Vista for anything but the print drivers. It effectively turned my 2840 into a useless paperweight. I would have never bought the machine if I knew HP was going to support it so poorly.

My hope is HP is working on a 64bit Windows 7 driver and scanner software for the 2840. If they aren't then I will never buy another HP product again. This lack of support is unacceptable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation