Question

Honor Student
MerelyImputed
Message 1 of 4 (333 Views)

disable HP digital imaging monitor notifications win 8

I have a Photosmart c309g-m running on a wireless home network. Every action (printing, scanning, waiting for ink to dry, running low on ink, etc) results in a pop-up notification being displayed bottom right corner of my screen. It takes priority over everything the PC that has the HP Solution Centre software on (running windows 8), regardless of which PC issues the print/scan/whatever command. It bumps me out of games, media playback, interrupts typing.  It is the most infruriating thing. I have been searching for a way to disable these pop-up notifications in the manual, help files, forums, but the only solution I have that worked was to uninstall all HP software then install only the drivers. This gave me problems trying to scan and print (incomplete pages printed, scans unable to save on the PC), and when I ran the Print Doc and Scan Doc programmes they re-installed the full HP Solution Centre.

PLEASE help me disable these pop-ups. It's so infuriating I'll have to ditch the printer and get something else if this isn't possible.

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 4 (314 Views)

Re: disable HP digital imaging monitor notifications win 8

MerelyImputed

I am linking you a document called “HP UPD - Manage Status Notification Pop-ups”. If you read through the document you will see a section called “Use Device Settings tab in the property page to enable or disable SNP”. Following those steps should resolve your issue.

HP UPD - Manage Status Notification Pop-ups

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=503548&spf_...

If you have any further questions, concerns, or this does not resolve your issue please feel free to re-post.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Honor Student
MerelyImputed
Message 3 of 4 (306 Views)

OK, thanks for the reply, but it hasn't worked. I was using the all-in-one driver/software package that the installer wizard thing downloaded. I didn't have HP UPD installed. So I went searching and found where to download it. There were 2 versions available: PCL5 and PCL6 (which also had a sub-version 5.xxxx whatever). Tried PCL 6 first. Found all the options indicated, switched off the notifications, set this as the default printer.... and all the printer will print is one line of garbled text and symbols per page, in a never-ending stream. So I cancelled the print job.

Then I uninstalled PCL 6, tried PCL5 - it doesn't have the same options - under "device settings" are the same options as with the printer as installed with the all-in-one driver: Just Advanced Features, with a sub-set of "installed options" which has a further sub-set "Duplex Unit: installed" which I can set to not installed if I wish.

So, uninstalled that, tried PCL6 (5.xxxxx): Same as with the first PCL6. Even tried uninstalling all HP software and drivers, then installing just PCL6 (5.xxx). Just prints garbled rubbish.

I re-installed the software using the installer wizard from the HP website. If I print from the printer installed this way, I get nice print quality, but annoying pop-ups. If I print from the UPD installed version of the printer I get garbled mess but no pop-up. No settings changes I make with the UPD thing are translated to the All-In-One version, even though they have the same ip address.

Come on, there HAS to be a way to have the printer just print, or scan, without disrupting what I'm doing. Why isn't there a button on the Solution Centre for notifications: enabled/disabled???? 

Honor Student
MerelyImputed
Message 4 of 4 (301 Views)

OK, found a solution: uninstalling HP digital imaging module has ended the notifications, and my ability to scan to the PC. I can scan to a USB stick, but can't change any settings, preview the scan, or change the file type produced. It'll work for now but I'm very dissatisfied. Everything else about this unit is really good - print quality, scan quality, wifi setup - just the flippin notifications. PLEASE GIVE US A WAY TO SWITCH THEM OFF. Don't let software that you can modify ruin our experience.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation