Question

Tutor
b189
Message 1 of 22 (1,020 Views)
Accepted Solution

fatal error installing software photosmart c7250 on windows vista 32 bit

[ Edited ]

Issue with Uninstall and Install print driver software on my PC - printer is HP Photosmart all in one C7250 - wireless network hook-up

My printer had been working for many years.  Then some of the photo print functionality had stopped working - I suspect because there may have been a conflict with multiple HP print drivers on my PC.  So I attempted to Unistall all HP software (via window uninstall).  All successfully uninstalled except:

C:\program files/hp/digital imaging\esupport\hpzscr01.exe

C:\program files/hp/digital imaging\ocr\hpzscr01.exe

C:\pro...

C:\pr...

I was able to manually unistall the first 2 files since I could see where they were located.  But I have no idea about the other 2 becasue the error message did not provide full name as you can see.  I tried to install anyway (using HP Solution for Install Errors - Windows Vista).  Followed all instructions.  The install of latest driver/software (downloaded from the HP website) got as far as detecting my wireless printer; then it gets stuck at the config stage at 96% for 15+ minutes - then runtime error situation code 07417929.  HELP!  I think it's all becasue I can't unistall these phantom files.  does anyone have advice?

---------------- More INFO ---------------------

After above, I am able to print in the basic way - but my HP Solution Center Software in not operational.  Message when I try to open Solution Center is "No HP Devices habe been detected." 

I have a LOG file with some PRT Screens that I wish I could attach to this note (can't figure out how).  It may give more insight to the errors.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 2 of 22 (980 Views)

Re: fatal error installing software photosmart c7250 on windows vista 32 bit

Hi b189,

I am not sure if you will need to post the LOG fie or screenshots, but if you do, there should be a button at the top of your post, between the "link" icon and the "film" icon.

As far as the issue you are having, check out the following link to troubleshoot the issue:

The Progress Bar on the Software Installation Stops or Stalls

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
b189
Message 3 of 22 (955 Views)

I had gone through all of the solutions you outlined.  I had already have my network in discovery mode with file share.  That was not the problem - the software always found my network wireless printer.  I also performed a level 3 uninstall - using the original disk.  no luck.  so - I am still at a loss. 

Insights are welcome.

Beth 

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 4 of 22 (945 Views)

Atfer you did the L3 uninstall, then reinstalled the software, did it still get stuck at 96%?

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
b189
Message 5 of 22 (942 Views)

yes.  keep getting same error.  It gets stuck at 96% after discovering my wireless network printer sucessfully.  It then proceeds to the "configuring product" step.  Once at 96%, it seems to be stuck for more than 15 minutes as if it's in a do-loop.  Error is Runtime error when it finally gives up.

Beth

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 6 of 22 (941 Views)

Ok, this may be an issue with your operating system. Microsoft provides a tool that may be able to help. Click the link below for details:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/

Tutor
b189
Message 7 of 22 (936 Views)

ok.  I ran this Microsoft fix-it tool.  It did find and fix corrupt patch registry keys.  Then I re-ran the install.  The install process first started  full uninstall -- and I got no uninstall errors.  Then computer restarted and priceeded with install.  Unfortunately, it bombed at the same place - 96% at configure product.  The error messages are as follows:

Fatal error during installation -- the top of this dialogue box included "F:\hpzsetup.exe" "-*Stub"  "328408" "/rerun" "1" "-wStub" "131...         remainder of top got cut off with the ...

Then I got::

HP Installer Recovery Plug-In has stopped working. 

so only option was to close program.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 8 of 22 (909 Views)

Next thing I think you should do would be to follow the steps in this fatal Error document:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02266980&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3382185&tmp...

Tutor
b189
Message 9 of 22 (906 Views)

I already tried this step.  I followed the path of .. non-numberd error; stuck at 96% for windows vista OS....

It did not work.  In fact, I am really concerned with the steps I followed, per instructions.  I changed the security permissions for the C hard drive, as stated.  Then resstarted and tried to install again.  Got same errror.  My concern is that I think the security settings that I changed it to should not be kept at these settings (for security purposes).

Ib addition to solving my problem on how to install the HP printer software, does anyone know how the security settings shoould be set normally.... for users, for system, for adminstrator, for authenticated users?  What is the default / proper security settings?

Please don't give up on me.  Thanks.

Beth

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 10 of 22 (902 Views)

The security settings are for local security, if you are not in a corporate enviroment, there should be no reason to worry.

Something we have not tried yet would be to

1. Uninstall the current HP software.

2. Turn off the printer and unplug it.

3. Install the software, and at the point it asks whether it is a wireless or wired connection, choose wireless, and when the configuration window pops up immediately cancel it.

4. It will go back to the page that asks you if it is a wired or wireless connection, choose cancel again and select OK.

5. It will finish installation then ask about placing an icon on the desktop, choose yes and tell it to complete the software installation and place an icon on the desktop.

6. Once that completes, plug in the printer, turn it on, and click on the icon to have it search for, configure, and install the printer.

Let me know what happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation