ftp : "Alert: 425 Can't open data connection" (3118 Views)
Top Student
ftp-less
Message 1 of 18 (3,118 Views)
Accepted Solution

ftp : "Alert: 425 Can't open data connection"

I click on the "Download" button on YOUR "Support" site to d/l "lj1010serieshb-vista64.zip" file. "Download" produces the "Alert: 425 Can't open data connection". How else can I access your ftp site and or this file?

HP's "support" answers "Please note that you will need to have the FTP access to download the printer driver"

Excuse me??? Is this support?

How can I get this file?

Mo

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 18 (3,117 Views)

Re: ftp : "Alert: 425 Can't open data connection"

Try THIS link.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
ftp-less
Message 3 of 18 (3,109 Views)

[ Edited ]

DexterM,

Thanks a BUNCH!!!! It is a done deal.

In response to HP Supports LATEST email replay saying in part:

"Hello Michael, Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center. On reading your e-mail we understand that you are unable to install the HP LJ 1010 printer in Vista operating system.

Michael, the driver for Vista operating system in not available. Hence, I would suggest you to install the 1015 native driver
."

I answered with:

"... the driver for Vista operating system in not available  ..." If this is so, then why:

1. Do you have the file listed, explaining it is for Vista 64 bit?
2. Have a "Download" button that links to a time wasting, FRUSTRATING, DEAD link?
3. Why the hell didn't you tell me you don't have a driver for Vista FOUR emails ago?????????????????????

This is a poor excuse for "support".
"

Dexter, you have proven your employer (support ??? department), to be either liars or totally useless. When they send the their next worthless reply, I'll give them the link .... LOL!!!!

Thanks again.

Message Edited by ftp-less on 09-02-2009 12:24 PM
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 18 (3,091 Views)

Wow. I'm quite surprised at that response. It's quite obvious that the Vista drivers are available for download. 

As for the reason you were not able to download using the original link, the file was at an FTP server, and the link started with ftp://. Now some browsers have problems downloading links from FTP sites. So the link I gave you fooled the browser to think that it is an http site by replacing ftp:// by http://. This is why the download link I gave worked. I cant really blame the FTP server for the problem. I'm sure that if you use an FTP downloading program, that the original link will work. FYI. have a great day. :smileyhappy:

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
ftp-less
Message 5 of 18 (3,088 Views)

me too!

I understand about the browser & ftp ... however, the support page(?), only had a Download Button, the link (ftp address), was never shown, so I couldn'tcopy it.

it's history 'till next time (Win 7???)

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 18 (3,082 Views)

Maybe you should try out a new web browser than the one you're using. That may help in the future. Good luck.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
ftp-less
Message 7 of 18 (3,080 Views)

or maybe I should get a newer (next) printer from a vendor that can figure out this dang internet and make downloading a file less criptic.

:smileysurprised:

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 18 (3,085 Views)

Aah, but a new browser is free of cost. :smileyhappy:
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
ftp-less
Message 9 of 18 (3,084 Views)

ok, here's a limb .... which browser operates well with the HP Support site?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 10 of 18 (3,076 Views)

You could try Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera browser. All are free. I personally use Opera.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation