Question

Tutor
michael323
Message 1 of 18 (5,669 Views)
Accepted Solution

gc_w01_enu_nb.exe extracts to 100% but setup fails instantly in winxp pro

I'm trying to install the full featured driver for my psc-1315xi on two WinXP Pro PCs.

The first one worked perfectly.

On the second one, when I run the downloaded exe, I get the "Extracting" message, but when it goes up to 100%, the setuup window never opens.  And no error messages are displayed.  I poked around and found a log file that was produced.  It includes the following:

GetValueByLang( f->c_str(), _T(Version), _T(LanguagesInthisCD) failed
System LangID = 1033.  mapped to ENU
## The system language is ENU, but it isn't on our CD!
## We couldn't figure out a language to use, and are returning FALSE from CICECmdLine::GetLanguage()!
## GetValueByLang( f->c_str(), _T(Version), _T(LanguagesInthisCD) failed
Setup returning 1603

Any help would be appreciated.

Tutor
michael323
Message 2 of 18 (5,620 Views)

Re: gc_w01_enu_nb.exe extracts to 100% but setup fails instantly in winxp pro

I think I may have solved this problem.

I have a Windows XP Pro (SP3) PC that was experiencing this issue.

Immediately after the "extracting" window went to 100% and closed, nothing happened.  The software installer/setup windows never displayed.

Each time I tried it created a log file that started with this:

Parsed command line: ".\Setup.exe"

Using datfile: C:\DOCUME~1\xxxxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\7zS1293\autorun.inf

## GetValueByLang( f->c_str(), _T(Version), _T(LanguagesInthisCD) failed

## The system language is ENU, but it isn't on our CD!

There were other error messages after that, but they all stem from lines 3 and 5.

Something was preventing the setup program from recognizing that the ENU language files ARE present in this download.

By comparing two PCs, one with the problem, and one that worked just fine, I saw that the one that was failing had AutoRun disabled via a registry setting.  I temporarily removed this from the registry on the PC that was failing and the setup launched and ran like it was supposed to.  Here are the first few of that log file from the same PC, a few minutes later, where the only difference was that I had removed the offending registry setting:

Parsed command line: ".\Setup.exe"

Using datfile: C:\DOCUME~1\xxxxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\7zS1293\autorun.inf

We are using the system language=ENU, which is on our CD!

As you can see, the "(LanguagesInthisCD) failed" message (Line 3) has disappeared, and line 5 (now line 4) shows that it succeeded in recognizing that the ENU language setup files are present.

So, if you are experiencing this problem and you are comfortable working with the system registry, here's how I got it to work on my PC:

Start regedit
Navigate down this tree
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- - SOFTWARE
- - - Microsoft
- - - - Windows NT
- - - - - CurrentVersion
- - - - - - IniFileMapping
Below that, look to see if there is a key named "Autorun.inf"
On my PC (the one with this problem) the value for this key was "@SYS: DoesNotExist"
If your registry has this also, it may be the cause of your problem.
In the left pane of regedit, right click on Autorun.inf and select "Rename" from the popup menu.
Change the name to something like "Autorun.inf.hold"
Close regedit
At this point I rebooted my PC, but I don't know if that it actually required.
I ran the downloaded driver file.  It extracted, and the setup program started like it was supposed to.

When that was done, I went back into regedit and renamed "Autorun.inf.hold" back to "Autorun.inf"

This was enormously frustrating for me, and (if you need it), I hope this solution works for you.

Honor Student
sclilgal
Message 3 of 18 (5,607 Views)

This works great and so simple!!  Thanks!!!

Student
JPCLEMEN-FRANCE
Message 4 of 18 (5,061 Views)

HUNDREDS OF THANKS!

Thank you for this unique solution regarding autorun.inf conversion to autorun.inf.hold trick in the regedit that eventualy worked perfect for me after several days of unsuccessfull researches on internet.

I am running Windows XP Pro.

To the HP guys that will read this

1/ Insert this helpfull trick in  your "help on line" file!

2/ Stop developping crazy software that take hundreds of Mbs just to run a little printer: nobody does it BUT HP! And note that your are generating MUCH MORE TROUBLE that you are providing sensitive benefits to the enduser. This a contra-productive work.

Student
kurtnsuz
Message 5 of 18 (4,629 Views)

PERFECT!!!  Thought I was going to have to format and this was simple!!

Top Student
rrayzer
Message 6 of 18 (4,367 Views)

"ABSOLUTELY PERFECT SOLUTION"!!!  It worked on my Dell laptop and Dell and eMachine desktop.

Tutor
Squeakmail
Message 7 of 18 (4,357 Views)

Is this likely to work in W7 and/or W8?

(I'm not familiar enough with the insides of the registry etc - but I am getting "Registry Error" messages from HP Scan and Print Doctor.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 8 of 18 (4,341 Views)

Those steps wouldn't work for Win 7 or Win 8 because there is not software for the PSC 1315xi for either of those OS. The problem you're getting is most likely different from the one the original poster had. What printer are you using, and which of the two OS you mentioned do you have? Or, do you have both? How is the printer connected to the computer(s)?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
Squeakmail
Message 9 of 18 (4,340 Views)

Officejet 7310

One PC and a laptop using Win XP and all works perfectly.

One PC and one laptop running Win 7 has never, ever, worked with "Solution Center" and every attempt over the last 3 years to load driver has ended in "Failed to load", "Failed to Load Correctly" or "Loaded but not working".

Driver wizard doesn't work. Print and Scan doesn't work. Uninstall doesn't work (Gives "Uninstaller has stopped working").

Exactly the same with Windows 8 on my other PC.

Have uninstalled and (attempted to) re-install driver software dozens of times over the three years.  It's a shame as I love the device. Very strong and robust.  Much better build quality than the Epson 4540 that I'm considering replacing it with.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 10 of 18 (4,338 Views)

[ Edited ]

I will be straight with you. Solution Center, and printer that use it, have had some problems working with Windows 7. The main reason for that is because the program was designed to work with Windows XP. You can get it to work with Windows 7, it can just take some doing some times. My true recommendation is to get a printer that uses the latest rendition of the HP software known as Printer Assistant, which is most of the new OfficeJet, DeskJet, and PhotoSmart printers. I do have a special uninstall that you can try that might clear everything out and let you install everything like it was never on the computer at all, and I'll provide the steps below. In case that doesn't work, I'll point you to a workaround for scanning and maintenance that I've found. Let me know what happens.

How can I get Solution Center working?

For Windows 7:

1. Run disk cleanup on your computer

2. Download and run the software and drivers below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-76831-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

3. Once the download is done extracting, cancel the download.

4. Click the start menu.

5. Click Run.

6. Type %temp% in the run field

7. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

8. Open folder Util

9. Open folder CCC

10. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat for non-HP computers.  For HP computers run the Uninstall_L3.bat

11. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

12. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

13. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

14. Use this tool to clean the system and registry.  Note: This utility is not HP sponsored or approved.  HP and I are not responsible for damages or loss of data caused by the utility.  This step is optional.   You can skip it if you want.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=b...

15. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-76831-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

16. Run the download to reinstall the printer

For Windows 8:

1. Run disk cleanup on your computer

2. Download and run the software and drivers below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-110183-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

3. Once the download is done extracting, cancel the download.

4. Press Windows Key + R.

5. The Run Window should open.

6. Type %temp% in the run field

7. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

8. Open folder Util

9. Open folder CCC

10. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat for non-HP computers.  For HP computers run the Uninstall_L3.bat

11. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

12. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

13. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

14. Use this tool to clean the system and registry.  Note: This utility is not HP sponsored or approved.  HP and I are not responsible for damages or loss of data caused by the utility.  This step is optional.   You can skip it if you want.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=b...

15. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-110183-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

16. Run the download to reinstall the printer

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation