Question

Honor Student
johneq22
Message 1 of 6 (90 Views)

how to create new driver cd for deskjet 722c?

I have a windows 95 stand alone computer that has no access to internet. I need to install new driver for deskjet 722c. When I download the driver on another computer and copy it to a cd, the cd creates an archive copy. A pop up window warns that some information attatched to the file will be lost. When this archive copy is run, I get a warning that it cannot write to the directory. How can I get a usable copy of the driver onto the cd so I can transfer it to the stand alone computer?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (82 Views)

Re: how to create new driver cd for deskjet 722c?

Hi:

I was able to copy the file to a CD, but when I ran it, it kept error-ing out.  Could not create the directory.

So, you can't copy the file to a CD.

If you run the file on another PC, it extracts just fine (at least it did for me).

After the file extracts, you will see four folders labeled Disk 1 to Disk 4.

That tells me you need to put the contents of those folders onto 4 floppy disks in order to load the drivers.

I'm thinking you copy the contents of the folders (without the folders) on the numbered floppy disks 1 -4  and then run the Setup.exe file in disk 1.

It should load drivers and ask you to insert the rest of the disks consecutively, I would imagine.

Paul

Honor Student
johneq22
Message 3 of 6 (79 Views)

Ok that sounds great in theory.  When I ran the file on my xp based machine it appeared to run fine but I don't see any evidence of the exrtacted file? Where do I look? 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (78 Views)

I saved the .exe file in the 'My Documents" folder.

Ran it, and it created a folder in the same folder (My Documents) named DJ720C.

When you open that folder, you will see four folders labeled Disk1, Disk2, Disk3, Disk4.

And as I posted above, you want to open each of those Disk folders, and copy the all the contents in each opened disk folder, to four correspondingly labeled formatted floppy disks.

Honor Student
johneq22
Message 5 of 6 (76 Views)

Thanks, that worked I was able to find folder. Do you think it might be possible to put the contents of the 4 disks onto a cd? My xp machine does not have a floppy drive.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 6 (75 Views)

It has been my experience that trying that won't work.

You have nothing to lose by trying though.

Copy the contents of all 4 open "Disk" folders onto a CD and then run the setup.exe file.

If it works, great.  If it doesn't, you will need to add a FDD to the PC.

You may be able to use a USB FDD, but the PC may be too old to recognize it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation