Re: hp/ (external ) dvd 1040 writer (304 Views)
Student
hutch5121
Message 1 of 5 (7,952 Views)

hp/ (external ) dvd 1040 writer

This is my first time for this, can someone help me find the install software for the  hp1040 writer, my hard drive crashed and I can't find my CD and need to reinstall software to get my writer up and running, I've searched HP's web site with no luck.

Student
sideshowtodd
Message 2 of 5 (3,771 Views)

Re: hp/ (external ) dvd 1040 writer

it's really sad that two years have gone by and not a single HP employee or anyone from the community has helped with this issue. I expected better from the official HP Support Forum, at the very least a comment from a moderator saying "we're sorry, there are no employees here able to find drivers to support our own products."

This thread has had 4181 views as of my posting. That should be a clue, there are thousands of people who are having the same troubles and, judging by this thread, HP has done nothing for customer support. Considereing this thread was Hutch5121's first, only, and last post, I'm guessing he was soured by the experience as well.

Student
FXSage
Message 3 of 5 (3,687 Views)

I am roughly in the same boat.  If I find my original CD or find another source, I will post it here.

Student
sensei41
Message 4 of 5 (615 Views)

This 2012 and I have the same problem. I have searched not only hp but all of yahoo without luck. gues i will have to toss it. this is not the only hp product i have trouble with. HP used to be a good company and cared about its customers but no longer.
Student
DownWithHP
Message 5 of 5 (304 Views)

I ABSOLUTELY agree-- HP used to put out good products "back in the day". Now, it seems as if they could CARE LESS about their customers. 3 yrs ago, I specifically bought a new HP desktop with the new Win 7 on it. First off, my HP deskjet finally took a dive after over 10 yrs of use. Now THAT'S the way it used to be-- solid products that would taske you over the long haul! So I bought another HP printer-- it promptly had problems (making "slamming noises for no apparant reason, finishing print jobs halfway, etc). I went to the HP Forum- huh- seems like other owners of this printer had the same problem-- and NO HP support! I ditched this 3-month old crap HP printer and bought a Canon. WHICH I STILL HAVE TODAY WITH ZERO PROBLEMS!! Then, I had purchased a HP flatbed scanner a year before that used the Win XP system. When I hooked up the scanner, Win 7 couldn't read it. I looked on the HP site for an updated driver and- gosh- they supported other MORE RECENT HP scanners with Win 7 patches, but- golly- not mine. So I bought another Canon product- a Canon flatbed scanner- WHICH I STILL HAVE TODAY WITH ZERO PROBLEMS!!

Anyway, throughout these 3 yrs, the HP desktop has slowed down on occasion (with no solution or resolution) and, in general, "acted hinkey". No support from HP, no solutions, no nuthin'-- even though I spent good money getting a 2-yr tech support package.

So I recently bought a new desktop system-- paid a hefty price for it. I specifically told the sales rep what I needed on the system, but the number-one thing I requested was- "I REFUSE to buy anything with HP on it!!"

I recently had a relative ask me what kind of printer to purchase for his new laptop. I told him #1-- NO HP crap! He took my suggestions and guess what? He went ahead and bought a HP printer because the sales rep told him that HP got new management and were committed to better customer support. HAW HAW. When he told me that, I shook my head and said "Good luck Charlie!!" Now, 6 months later he is crying because it has given him nothing but fits. I looked at him and just said "HMMMM."

MORAL OF THIS LONG STORY-- DON'T EVER-EVER-EVER-BUY HP!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation