Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to install the drivers for the above mentionned printer and the installation fails. So, here are my findings:

-the printer driver was downloaded from the HP site.

-the installation process stops at exactly 80% of the first step "preparation".

-running win 7 64 bits family edition premium on an Acer laptop

-this is my second install. I already installed it once on the same computer (running AVG AV)and it worked fine. but i had to recover the laptop (and re-install the driver) but this time, it simply does not work.

-I am running the software as administrator.

-firewall is windows and running Microsoft security essentials. both were deactivated during the installation attempt.

this SHOULD work but it does NOT.

product number: CF145A  

serial number: {Private Information Removed}     

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I was actually coming back on here to post something that finally worked for me. Maybe, when someone makes a search on the forums for a solution like I did,  they can try what I tried and it will work for them too. Looking around the downloads/drivers portion of the hp support site, I noticed a firmware file I could download. I installed that and rebooted my computer. I was relieved when I finally saw that installation program I had run so many times before make it pass 80%. I now have the software and the drivers installed on my pc. Thank you for taking the time to post a possible solution for me.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Are you using a network connection? Or a different connection method?

The best method for installing software is the network connection using the software posted on the hp.com home page.

Not sure if you are receiving any type of error message other than the installer stopping at 80% but here is a document that might be of help:

Software Installation Stops Without Warning and With No Error Message

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

ok i'll try it "physically connected" using a network cable. i'll try getting a snapshot from the screen necause the installation program does give an errir message. Thanks for the reply!

HP Recommended

here ICapture.JPG go again: the print spooler was started and on automatic. I opted for "method 1"  install the software using HP smart install (connected with a USB cable) and the installation process stopped exactly at the same place as my previous tries. Here are 2 snapshot. The first one is a few seconds before the installation process stops. The second is the error message I get at exactly 80%.

HP Recommended

here is the second one, the error message.hp laserjet pro 200 Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

Make sure that you have unintalled all previous install attempts and then use the network connection and try to install. Do not try to use the Smart install method. By using the network method and the drivers downloaded from hp.com, you will have the most up to date sw and drivers.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

I tried installing the driver (provided on HP site) using a physical network connection. The print spooler was running before the installation process.  Again, it stopped at exactly 80%. Exactly the same thing as when I tried all other methods (using cd CD and the Smart Install).

Can I provide the application and system event viewer?. I had previously deleted all events before running the installation program so what could be provided in the event viewer is only the installation process (and the rollover uninstall at the end).

Also, just to make sure you guys understand the (french) error message, here is the translation from french: "A problem occured during the preparation of the installation software on your system. Please restart your computer and run the installation software again. If the problem still occures, consult th web site for support on your product."

HP Recommended

if a solution was found for this exact problem can you please post the answer here?? I'm going crazy trying to find a solution. I regret not trying to install this printer with a usb cable first. I even tried to restore the system to an earlier time and trying the usb cable and still only get to 80%. Then when I try to exit out of the installer I am told to remove the usb cable first.  Is there a way to reset the printer so I can try to install using the usb option?? What changes do I need to manually undo so the software can start fresh. (there are no uninstall options available since the software never actually installs, it just stops as the previous user described)

HP Recommended

So here's how things are so far...I was able to get the printer and scanner working by downloading the drivers only option on the driver/software hp support site. I went into the control panel, add a printer, picked the wireless option, waited until the printer was discovered, picked the have disk option, navigated to the place where I had the driver only file decompressed to, and picked one of the driver files there. Problem is - I still haven't found a way of installing the printer software without the installer crashing...I searched for a possible software only installation program but haven't found one. I really regret not installing using the usb cable connection first. I have a feeling that the software was designed to be more compatible with people's systems using that method. Now that the 'wireless option' was first chosen, when I plug a usb cable in after I turn off the wireless on the printer, my computer recognizes the printer as a usb storage device. Then I try to install the software and it still freezes at 80% and to top it off it won't let me exit the program until I disconnect the usb cable connecting the computer to the printer.  I can't find a solution and am seriously thinking of returning the printer. I want to install all the software on the disk to take advantage of all the capabilities of this printer.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul5150,

I understand you are having an issue with the software installing on your Windows 7 64 bit system for your HP Laserjet pro 200 color MFP m276nw.

Here is a link to HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows. The HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows was created to help Windows 7 and Windows 8 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/p...

Please feel free to contact me if you have other questions

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.