Question

Student
dougle25
Message 1 of 7 (7,535 Views)

ink levels

hi   Just got a new hp deskjet F380 and it does not tell me the ink level .    I had a PSC 1100 and it told me the level all the time .  any idears what i can do.

Thanks

Master's Graduate
kikokixz
Message 2 of 7 (7,523 Views)

Re: ink levels

hi,

You can check the ink levels by launching the HP Solution/HP Director in your desktop screen:

>settings

>print settings

>printer toolbox

>select estimated ink levels tab 

Kiko
Top Student
cstone
Message 3 of 7 (7,477 Views)

Why won't it tell me the ink level for "official", "reputable" Remanufactured HP cartridges:smileymad:? These are 100% guaranteed by "LD Products, Longbeach, CA" to work with HP (& other) products; specifically state that "use of this cartridge does not void your warranty", under "Magnuson-moss warranty improvement act"....   I Thought this was the primary reason for dutifully sending-in used cartridges & such items (in addition to "helping the Environment", :smileyhappy:of course): so that they COULD BE "remanufactured"/refurbished/refilled, i.e., instead of sitting in the landfills??? Why else would you be requesting they be "sent back", if you are NOT selling/giving them to contracted manufacturers to ReUSE?  I don't get it!:mansurprised:
Olóriöndolindë
I amar prestart aen…
A sí ‘i-dhuath ú-orthor: Ú or le, a ú-or nin!

[The world is changed…but the great shadow does not Yet hold sway:
not over You, not over Me]
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (7,462 Views)

You would have to ask LD Products why they do not reset the ink levels properly.  If the cartridge were actually "remanufactured" completely (rather than just refilled) the printer could recognize the ink levels properly.  As long as the cartrdige is indicating that it has been depleted the printer cannot report anything different.

As for what HP does with returned ink cartridges - the plastics are recycled.  See http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/cartridge-recycling.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
wfhecht
Message 5 of 7 (7,351 Views)

I know how to check ink levels in Windows XP (Launch/Show HP Solutions Center, etc.) but how can I check ink levels when running Vista?
Top Student
tims
Message 6 of 7 (7,309 Views)

I don't know if this relates or not but I have a Deskjet 5550 that I bought new about 3 years ago, perhaps a little less.  When I did a clean install of Vista I lost the ink level information I had with XP.  HP support acknowledges that the company made a decision for my printer (and I'm sure many others) not to write new drivers for Vista and that the generic Vista drivers don't provide the ink level information.

Initial Support response (last night, 1-7-09):

, in response to youre mail I would like to inform you that it requires full feature driver to show ink level and other features. Since your present operating system is Vista andI regret to inform you that for Vista there is no full feature driver available. Therefore you will not be able see the dialog box to check the inklevel. 

Follow-up Support email (this morning, 1-8-09):

I deeply regret the inconvinience caused however with your kind permission Ias an representative of the HP tech support would like to explain few points so as to regain your trust in HP. Please understand that with time Microsoft had continuously upgraded their Operating Systems from Windows 95 to 98 to ME,2000,XP and now Vista thus marking the older versions as obsolete. We do have to purchase the new Operating System as the old one is categorized as discontinued or obsolete. Unless the older Operating System is discontinued the new Operating System cannot be sold. With each new Operating System we have somenew feature or capability than the older ones. This is how any company would operate to sell there new product. This is technology.

Considering the above mentioned fact our printers has operated with all theversions of Windows starting from Windows 95 to Windows XP. However thesituation changed as Vista is a new set of codes which has compelled ourresearch and developement team to take a new approach altogether. 

My rant in response (made me feel better even if it didn't accomplish anything else):

There is no need for a call back.  I get it.  You made a strategic decision not to provide updated drivers for some (many? most?) consumer printers including those that were still in the stores when Vistashipped, even though you knew – or should have known - that they would bepartially obsolesced with the new OS and you had access to the necessary information from Microsoft several years earlier during Longhorn development.  Basically, it looks to me like:  unsophisticated consumers x low cost printers x cost of writing new drivers = let them eat cake.  (And maybe even sell more cartridges in the meantime since they’ll always have to have 1 or 2 spares on hand, even though they might replace theprinter before they ever use them.  Win-Win for HP, in a masterful Gillette-razor-esque kind of way.)

I’ve been using HP printers at home and in the work place for almost as long as you’ve been making them. I believe they are the best printers available for both consumer and enterprise use.  However, getting burned on this one by being forced to replace it during its still productive lifespan if I’m to have full functionality sorely wounds my HP enthusiasm.  Windows7 goes to wide beta tomorrow.  Will my next HP printer also be obsolesced because of your disrespect for consumers? 

I got another reply but it didn't add anything new and didn't address my (sort of) rhetorical question about Win7. The support people did add, though, that they're just employees, have no control over corporate policies, and are "in the same shoe" as I am.  I guess I can give the people on the firing line a little slack for that.  Of course, I knew I was shooting the messenger anyway, but I always try to make clear that I'm aware of it and they shouldn't take it personally.

Student
FloridaAlan
Message 7 of 7 (1,513 Views)

Also I cannot get ink levels on my Deskjet 4260 with Windows 7 like I did with XP that I just upgraded from.  And I couldn't even talk to tech support because--obviously offshore--they must have been using Skype or some similar phone connection because the tech guy was so garbled I couldn't understand him.

Factoring in the ridiculously high cost of ink, I made a strategic marketing decision also.  I'm replacing the HP product with another brand. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation