Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've got an HP Laserjet 1018 that works just fine on Windows Vista 64-bit.  I just built a new PC and put Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit onto it.  The drivers on the HP support site don't work.  When I try printing something, it gets sent to the printer and just disappears.  I pause printing to see that the document actually does get sent to the printer and it shows up.  As soon as I un-pause the printer, the document disappears, but nothing prints.  Normally, when something is sent to the printer, the yellow "information" LED lights up momentarily and the document then prints.  The LED does not light up at all.  I have tried new cables, uninstalling and re-installing, etc.  Nothing works.  Just to be sure that it isn't a general printing problem, I hooked up a Laserjet 1020 onto the new machine and it works just fine.  However, that's my work printer and I can't leave it on the new computer which is a personal computer for my home.  This worked to identify that my copy of Windows 7 can indeed print, but this cannot be a long-term solution.  Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the post.  On this one, I have a couple of ideas.  I've pasted the links below.  One is for the Win7/64 driver page and the print diagnostic utility.  I would certainly recommend the utility to help narrow down the issue.  The other is a queue related document which has some excellent information.  Good Luck!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05368413 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1814...

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the post.  On this one, I have a couple of ideas.  I've pasted the links below.  One is for the Win7/64 driver page and the print diagnostic utility.  I would certainly recommend the utility to help narrow down the issue.  The other is a queue related document which has some excellent information.  Good Luck!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05368413 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1814...

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

HP Recommended
Thanks! I couldn't find this anywhere else!
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I tried to download the drivers and software from HP site. I have an HP 2009m desktop. the download goes through fine, but when asked for install, it tells me my  laserjet1018 is not plugged in and is waiting for me to plug it in. I have tried different cords, different USP ports, turning it off and turning it back on, nothing is working any help given would be appreciated. SIDENOTE* I do have the printer installed on a toshiba laptop, but I do not know how to access the driver/software so I can copy it to a flash and put it on the desktop. any suggestions would be helpful

HP Recommended

Hello Jladd317,

Thanks for the post.  Hmmm, this one is being difficult eh?  At first glance, I would agree with you, either the USB cable or the USB port on your desktop system, but since you tried both let's check the below link for some excellent t-shooting steps.  Good Luck!

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01907602

HP Recommended

This printer works fine on Windows Vista,

I upgraded to a newer Windows 7 Pro 64bit pc,

and the system acts like the printer is not connected, even though it clearly is.

I have searched this forum  and the web, and taken all the steps directed, 

from trying different usb ports and cables, to reinstalling drivers, to using printui /s  to remove packages.

Nothing works.

Once i hooked the printer back up to my windows vista pc, everything worked fine again.

Please consider updating this Laserjet1018/1020 driver to recognize win7 systems.

If I get a windows 8 system will that work with this printer? If anyone knows, i'd appreciate your comments.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.