Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJets
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This problem is afecting several of our user computers in our domain. All our network printers have worked ok for many months and now user computers are starting to develop this problem.

Print spooler service is stopping with Event ID 1000 and the error below. When service is manually restarted, it stops again after a few seconds with this same error.

Faulting application name: spoolsv.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17777, time stamp: 0x4f35fc1d
Faulting module name: hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll, version: 13.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x5553b101
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c312a
Faulting process id: 0x3b98
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d554aadba712
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll
Report Id: eea81f5a-4147-11e5-994b-8056f2fe3d1b

I have tried deleting all files beginning with "hpb6sy2917" from the directory shown above, but the system copies them back! Not sure what process copies thess files back (it's not Group Policy - printer were deployed with GPO but this has been removed and run gpupdate /force several times).

How do I remove the file above which is causing the crash?

hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll

Have tried cleaning the registry entry described in this article (by removing the text HTTP after RPCSS)...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/Print-spooler-service-not-working/td-p/...

We have only HP LaserJets on our network, models as follows:

3x M4345

1x CP4025

1x M553

Print servers are all Windows Server 2008 R2 and the print spooler service is not stopping on these servers, or most of our other user computers. But we have too many affected desktops to start rolling back to previous known good configs, becase we don't know what is causing the above file to crash the spooler service.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Good to read I am not the only person ... we got the same issue starting with installing of a new HP M552 printer.

For us it seems only Windows 8/8.1 clients (no 10 clients), but all our 7 clients are woring fine without any problems.

What I do is:

From command line: pnputil -e >c:\Drivers.txt

Search into the c:\Drivers.txt for 2917 and remember which oemxx.txt file is associated with the 2917 drivers.

From command line: pnputil -f -d oemxx.txt (from the above .. xx = number).

Delete the 2917 files in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3

Start the Printer Spooler services ....

Please let me know if you solved this issue.

Thanks,

Matthijs

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the post led me to the fix.

I didnt have any oem files but found the drivers listed in event log and deleted them manualy from folder.

so what do we do for new driver for this printer?? hp color laserjet m553dn ?? windows 2012 r2?

HP Recommended

Many thanks. Removing the 2917 driver files for my printer HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw solved the issue.

This file C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3\hpne3B2A_x64Cfg.xml contains information to the related driver. Can this file also be removed?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.