Question

Honor Student
maryalexburkett
Message 1 of 5 (154 Views)

psc 1610 "check cartridge" patch wont update

HELP! My printer says the dreaded "remove and check right cartridge". Check it for what? I hae tried downloading the update from the HP website. Update downloads fine, opens fine, then says "Cannot find an HP device". My [printer is plugged in, powered on, and connected. I turned it off and on like the instructions say.  I have tried resetting in per the website instructions. I am running Mac osx 10.6.8.  My printer is a psc1610. Registered on 4/30/2011 purchased in 2006.

THNK you! I am trying to homeschool 3 little ones and it's tough with no printer! We are about to go back to the days of slates and chalk here!

Master's Graduate
TaraC
Message 2 of 5 (151 Views)

Re: psc 1610 "check cartridge" patch wont update

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your printer...chalk is for writing on sidewalks now, not schoolwork!

It sounds like you've already done some of the correct troubleshootings steps.  I'm not sure why the update didn't work, but it is an old download and may not be compatible with your relatively recent Mac OS. 

Had you done anything different when you started getting the error (i.e., were these new cartridges, or had you been using them for  while)? 

Have you tried just removing and re-inserting the cartridges and/or cleaning the cartridges?

Thanks!

Tara

**Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Honor Student
maryalexburkett
Message 3 of 5 (148 Views)

Hi and thanks Tara,

I have tried cleaning the cartridge contacts with alcohol and reinserting it. It is a cartrdige I have been using, not new. I tried reinstalling the entire driver/setup etc and resetting the printer. No good. Any other help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mary

Master's Graduate
TaraC
Message 4 of 5 (145 Views)

Hi Mary,

It sounds like you've done everything right.  I know this isn't a popular answer, but the next step would probably be to try a new cartridge and see if that solves the problem.  The 'old' cartridge may have somehow been damaged.  I always hate to say that because I hate to waste perfectly good ink and money myself, but...that would be my suggestion.  Sorry I don't have a better answer!

Thanks!

Tara

**Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Honor Student
maryalexburkett
Message 5 of 5 (142 Views)

ok I think I will have to. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation