psc 750 Will not scan (174 Views)
Honor Student
dna0825
Message 1 of 9 (174 Views)

psc 750 Will not scan

hello,

I have a hp psc 750 connected via usb cord to my hp  pavilion dv3 running windows 7 64 bit.  I can copy and print, but it will not scan.  When I try it says I need a WIA driver needed please reinstall with the CD or get it from online.  Online says I don't need any drivers when connected via usb (very frustrating!).  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer.  I've tried both a partial and a hard reset of the printer.  I have checked that the WIA, Shell Hardware Detection and Remote Procedure Call are all "started" and set to "automatic."  I have stopped and restarted all of them as directed in other forums all with no avail.  I have downloaded and run the "Scan doctor" from HP and it can't even detect a scanner.  I am seriously at a loss and want to throw my printer across the room and as the warranty is no longer relevant I can't get a real HP human to help me without paying money (not going to happen).  Any help would be appreciated!

p.s. this printer was hooked up to another computer long, long ago and it's scan settings were set to that computer which is now completely dead so there is no way to change those settings even after "resetting" the printer.  It still wants to scan to a specific program on said old computer.  I have a feeling that is part of the issue, but have no idea how to "unset" the original settings considering even after I've done partial and hard resets, it still wants to scan to that location.

HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!!!

HP
Gemini02
Message 2 of 9 (139 Views)

Re: psc 750 Will not scan

Hi dna0825,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand you are unable to scan.
I will be happy to help you.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector)

Also ensure the USB cable is not longer than 6 feet long and directly connected to a USB port on your PC (not through any docking station, USB hub)

I would recommend to run the Microsoft Fix It Tool to see if it will resolve your issue. Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically.

Temporarily turn off the Antivirus Software to see if it is interfering with scanning.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
dna0825
Message 3 of 9 (127 Views)

Thank you for the extra options, but unfortunately after trying them and double checking the cords, I still cannot scan and am still getting the "WIA driver" error message.
HP
Gemini02
Message 4 of 9 (120 Views)

Hi dna0825,

Sorry that didn't work.

I have provided a post from @pcwizard where he sets the Remote Procedure Call to manual and also the Shell Hardware Detection.

I would try this to see if it makes a difference.

Restart the Dependencies services.

This is a Windows issue and I would highly recommend to contact the computer manufacturer or Microsoft to see if they can resolve this issue if that didn't work.

Please let me know the results.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
WLCummings1
Message 5 of 9 (113 Views)

Please - if this is a Windows problem why is it only HP having the problem. There are hundreds of us customers having the printer and scanner problems with HP MFP and Scanners. No one at HP will give us a solution. You keep repeating the same solution over and over again and none work. Customers are returning printers or scraping HP printers and buying other manafacturers printers and scanners. See the forum "printer not working after windoes 8.1 installed" over 10 pages of questions and no ans. PLEASE PLEASE sombody at HP HELP.

HP could find the soilution if it is in fact a Windoes 8.1 problem and save 100's of non techical customers batting their heads against the wall with Microsoft or Dell - or for that matter HP (your own PC owners).

Honor Student
dna0825
Message 6 of 9 (110 Views)

Still no luck. I was redirected to your support page for the specific device by Microsoft. I'm wondering if the USB cable is still at fault seeing as it says it should install drivers automatically when I attach it. I'll try getting a new cord and cross my fingers. However at the moment it's stopped printing as well because I need to realign the cartridges, but when the alignment paper is put in the scanning area it's saying it "can't be found". Do you think the scanner itself is just plain old dead? I might just buy a new printer considering the age of this one anyway!
HP
Gemini02
Message 7 of 9 (93 Views)

Hi dna0825,

Since you can print the printer is communicating with the printer.

If you are able to copy then it wouldn't be a hardware issue with the printer it would be software related.

If all the steps were followed from the other post then you could contact the manufacturer of the computer and tell them you are getting a Wia error, to see if they can resolve this issue.

Please let me know the results.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
WLCummings1
Message 8 of 9 (91 Views)

If you call HP for the Computer and tell the help line its a printer problem the help  guys.gals say whoa its not my problem so they will forward you to the printer folks and the printer folks will not talk to you if the printer is out of warantee so you have a catch 22. HP does not care and will not help even tho 100's of loyal customers ( X customers) are having the same problem.

Discusted Bill

Honor Student
dna0825
Message 9 of 9 (84 Views)

Well at the moment I cannot do anything anymore.  Like I said in the previous post, it wanted me to realign the cartridges, so I went to follow those directions, but when I place the alignment form in the scanner bed as directed, it cannot be detected.  I think I'm just cutting my loses and getting a new printer this weekend.  Thank you for your advice and input in the mean time.    p.s. my computer is HP as well, so unless you have any other tips, I don't think there's a solution!

dana

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation