Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Printer firmware update fails with "error 65" displayed on the printer screen.

I have HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw, just a month outside the warranty window. Downloaded the latest driver M270_colorMFP_Series_FW_Update-20140718.exe, and followed the instructions on how to update.

The PC running the install shows no error and I get the smiley face at the end. However, printing configuration still shows the old 2012 driver. Also, the printer display does not display progress as mentioned in the isntall instructions. Rather, at one point it displays "Error 65" and then reboots.

How can I update the firmware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please try using the 20140521 version only, I currently checking whitin HP why 2 different firmwares are posted and will let you know once I will get an answer... for now please DO NOT try installing the 20140718 version ...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please ensure the printer is connected to your PC with a USB and not through the network, then try updating the firmware using the following tool and not the one mentioned above:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=kj-108130-5&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Will try...

I see two firmware are listed as updates relevant to my system, shall I do both or only the one that is more recent?

Released: 2014-08-05
Version: 20140718

Released:
2014-06-04
Version: 20140521

The link you provided is the same as the second one and is a couple months older.

I just tried after removing the Ehternet cable and connecting via USB, with the newer firmware version and it failed the same way as before. But I forgot to power cycle the printer first. I will try again aftetr rebooting both the PC and printer, connecting through USB and using the other firmware.
HP Recommended

Please try using the 20140521 version only, I currently checking whitin HP why 2 different firmwares are posted and will let you know once I will get an answer... for now please DO NOT try installing the 20140718 version ...

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hi,

I rebooted printer and PC, disabled wifi connection on printer and pulled out the ethernet cable, to make sure only the USB connection is active. I was able to install the firmware version you identified. I also had to make sure the HP sw on the PC was showing the printer as "Ready".

I tried to install the other firmware and was not able to. I even tried to install that firmware version from a different PC on the network and got the same "fatal error 65". I would be curious to know why that firmware does not work even though it is listed as avaialble for this printer.

Thanks for your continued support.

HP Recommended

You are gladly welcome.

I would let you know if I will get any input on this, for now please do not try using this firmware as I would expect some clarifications for the duplicate versions availability which seems quite unusual.

Regards,

Shlomi

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.