Question
"HP Deskjet 3520 Series" shortcut opens into notepad on Win XP.
Replies (22)

Top Student
Williamwriter
Message 21 of 23 (501 Views)

Re: "HP Deskjet 3520 Series" shortcut opens into notepad on Win XP.

[ Edited ]

Three notes on this fix.

1.  Copy this solution given by pcwizard because the patch will drop out again and you will have to fix it again in a day, week or month.  For some reason, your HP Assistant will revert back to the 2 notepads.

Usually, you will find out when you have to check your printer ink levels before buying new ink cartridges.

In fact, I made a short cut on my desktop so that i just have to apply the patch each time HP Assistant reverts back.

pcwizard wrote:

Root Cause:

An associated default program to open this file has been incorrectly set.

Download and run the file below. Let me know what you find out?

File association update

You can also refer to the document below

HP Printer Assistant Opens with a Script Error or in Notepad

2.  This problem occurs not only on the Windows XP, but also Windows Vista, 7, and 8.

3.  Do not make the mistake I did when I tried to fix my HP Assistant the second time it went out.  I forgot which fix I used the first time and first tried the uninstall/reinstall the printer with the installation of the lastest verson of the Adobe Flash Player.

Uninstalling/reinstalling printer and installation of Adobe Flash Player did not fix my problem and was a pain to implement.

Student
lumberjack812
Message 22 of 23 (295 Views)

you are the man . i just bought officejet 8600 and was opening in notepad.no disrespect i love hp products they are all that i own,but spent 3 hours on phone to tech support and issue was not resolved.next time i will check here first!!!

Thanks alot man

Student
Over-the-River
Message 23 of 23 (159 Views)

The update worked for me thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation