Re: strange name in hp solution center (910 Views)
Honor Student
jlongster
Message 1 of 10 (4,218 Views)
Accepted Solution

strange name in hp solution center

when i open hp solution center not only have the officejet 7680 listed and operational, but another device shows.

the name of this nonexistent device is $friendlyprinter$.

i am running vista.

How do i remove the $friendlyprinter$?

thanks

jim

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 10 (4,214 Views)

Re: strange name in hp solution center

OK. We'll need to access the registry to delete the instance for this invalid entry. How comfortable are you with dealing with the Registry on your PC?

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
jlongster
Message 3 of 10 (4,203 Views)

can do. have done before

thanks

jim

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 10 (4,195 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK. In the registry, go to HKLM>Software>Hewlett-Packard>Digital Imaging>HP Officejet L7600 Series and you should find 2 entries with 10 digit numeric name. When you do a single click on this, you'll find the correct details about the printer for one of them(like serial number), and no useful info for the other one. You need to delete the one which has no useful info. before you delete it, make sure you right click on it and click on Export to take a backup of it.

Once this is done, open Solution Center again. The $FriendlyName$ entry should not appear anymore. Let me know how it goes.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
jlongster
Message 5 of 10 (4,158 Views)

worked great. thanks so much.

jim

Student
vsteidle
Message 6 of 10 (3,685 Views)

I have the same problem with a HP Photosmart C7200 series. My operating system is Vista Home Premium 32. When I follow your advice to correct the registry entries I find under .../HP Photosmart C7200 series two subsets: - DeviceInstances>a ten digit string>data//functions/string. Under the entry "strings" the "friendlyname" is shown at "faxdrvname" and "prtdrvname" - strings: under the entry "DefFriendlyName" I edited "0,0,$HP Photosmart C7200 series$" instead of 0,0,$friendly name$ with no success. In the HP Solution Center the $FriendlyName$ doesn't disappear. The printer functions are ok with the exception of displaying the status of the colour cartridges I couldn't find a second 10 digit string with no useful info which is to delete as you mentioned. What can I do to correct the $FriendlyName$ entry? Thanks for help. Volker
Student
sirish
Message 7 of 10 (2,088 Views)

[ Edited ]

SIr, 

I am also HP employee.....

Thank you for the information.

I also tried the information and the icon got deleted.

But how to bring back the icon on the HP solution center with correct name? Because customer is having both scanner and printer software which support HP solution center. After deleting the $friendly$ from the registry, we only see the scanner icon and not the printer icon.

Please assist me further. Please send the information to my e-mail address:

{Personal Information Removed}

Honor Student
dispereo
Message 8 of 10 (1,254 Views)

Hi,

since about two weeks I got the same issue with my Photosmart 410b AiO. The registry fix does not help, as I can't find the entries in my registry at all. I get up to Hewlett-Packard and then I have completely different entries than the original poster of the solution suggests.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers software and it worked for one day and the next day the problem was back. As this involves about 6 restarts just for uninstalling each software manually to check which one might solve it and generally several restarts to uninstall and reinstall it all (!!!) - you might understand that I am not really happy about this at the moment (or rather FURIOUS!).

I also believe the problem started once I installed HP update and the Windows 7 network reliability fix - so not quite sure if that's a help, but after that it definitely got mixed up as I haven't touched anything for months and that was the last thing I did before it stopped working.

My system is a Win7 x64  Ultimate and the Printer is connected via network cable --> router.

A solution for this would be highly appreciated. Obviously the error is known now, so there must be someone who knows where this [enter rude word here] comes from?

Best regards,

Philippe

Student
zuluimpey
Message 9 of 10 (1,095 Views)

On win7 64 bit I found it under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\hewlett-packard\DigitalImaging\HP Color LaserJet CM1015 PCL 6\DeviceInstances

My MFP is a CM1015, so yours would be a Photosmart. I had 2 entries under this,and once I deleted one it vanished from solution center as stated in above posts.

Honor Student
dispereo
Message 10 of 10 (910 Views)

After lots of investigation and searching, the solution for the same problem in my case was simply uninstalling flash and reinstalling it. Apparently it screwed it up after I updated Flash.

This is really ridiculous and to be quite honest, that software shouldn't even depend or be able to get screwed by flash in first place. Really annoying! :-(

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation