Question

Student
biggben
Message 1 of 5 (3,881 Views)

the system cannot find the file specified

PHOTOSMART C4599

WINDOWS 7 64BIT

It was installed correctly on my old xp unit....bought a new windows 7 64bit unit and down loaded the drivers for win7 64 bit and it extracts then clicked install and it begins to run then I get the "THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED"  not sure where to go from here....any advice would very appreciated...i have done the add a printer and it had confiured it that far, but not the actual software for the all in one scanner and printer...thanks

Honor Student
crosscutrat
Message 2 of 5 (3,856 Views)

Re: the system cannot find the file specified

I hope to God this helps somebody because I was ready to kick HP to the curb.  POORLY designed software at best.  So for some reason I started getting an error in the software and tried to uninstall.  The software would not uninstall without using Microsoft's Fix It tool.  Afterwards, I could not get the latest software for my printer (downloaded from HP) to install. 

After extracting, it gave me an error "The system cannot find the file specified".  Google did not help as everyone else out there is waiting for a response to the same question.  I noticed that the path of the executable launched after clicking on the HP software referenced D:\ which is my cd drive. 

First of all this is a downloadable package and should not be referencing anything on my cd drive.  I think this must be a registry value stored by HP after the first install long ago was from a cd (which I no longer have).  In an effort to fulfill the POORLY designed software's needs, I extracted the software to a directory.  I used 7-zip but anything that will extract it will do.  Then I burnt the software to a cd and the autorun option popped up and I thought... here we go.  NO!  The software acted like it would run and then just starred at me.  POORLY designed software. 

I then thought... MAYBE because there is actually some software located on the D:\ drive now, I can use the downloaded software to kick off the install and whatever is attempting to reference software on D:\ will fly.  BINGO!  After double clicking the downloaded software package again (and my burnt cd being in the drive, the install went through as expected (the whole time my cd drive was going nuts meaning half the files were pulled from there.  If the software wasn't POORLY designed, it would have self extracted (to some temp directory) remembering where that is and reference that directory during the install instead of looking at a D:\ drive that shouldn't have been necessary.  I hope this helps somebody because I shouldn't have needed to jump through hoops for something so simple.  Can we say Lexmark next time!!!!

Student
musickid055
Message 3 of 5 (3,176 Views)

I registered just to verify crosscutrat's method -

extract the downloaded software, burn it to CD and then run the setup from the burned CD.   

Trying to save someone else some time, i tried all of the HP installation troubleshooting steps, restarting my computer dozens of times to no avail. 

Pay it forward.

Thanks.  

Student
thedude400
Message 4 of 5 (2,913 Views)

I did not try the first mentioned solution, but what did work for me was erasing the HP folder in 'Program Files'. If you had to uninstall/reinstall due to an unsuccessful prior install, HP will leave this folder in your Program Files and apparently (for me at least) the files in this folder were causing a problem. 

To summarize, make sure you uninstall any lingering HP printer related files and folders before reinstalling the printer setup file, particularly the ones that Windows 7 'Programs and Features' HP uninstall does not erase.

Top Student
J_Doe
Message 5 of 5 (816 Views)

Please see my post here for those who are still having problems, it may help someone:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/system-cannot-find-file-specified-duri...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation