Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I'm installing a shared LJ1320 printer connected to an XP PC from a new HP Pro desktop with W7 Pro64 bit.  The instructions about creating a new port work fine until I ask Windows update to update the printer list to show the LJ1320, when I get "Windows was unable to get a list of devices from Windows Update.  Please try again later"

Any ideas?

I can see an option to install the driver from a disk, and the HP support site says the driver is included with Windows 7, but I can't find where.

Help appreciated!

David

HP Recommended

@dlrose (David),

I get the same message if I click my Windows Update button at that step.  I'm not sure what that means.  However, before clicking that button, I can see a list of Manuracturers and their print drivers.  You should see your MFGR and printer in those two windows.  If you don't see your printer listed, I'd download the driver from the MFGR site and install it, then go through Bob's local port process again to see if it appears in the list.

The "Have Disk" button is also an option but it involves navigating to the right folder and then selecting the right ".INF" file....another topic for another thread (and easily searchable on the Internet).

HTH,

Futile

HP Recommended

For some reason the LJ1xxx series printers aren't listed, hence the wild goose chase for the inf file.

Am losing will to live,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it was so easy with a Vista notebook printing throgh an XP one!

HP Recommended

I have several entries for LaserJet 1xxx  printers in my list.  The list is very long, are you sure you're looking int he right area?  Perhaps you aren't looking in the right area of the list (you'd think there would be a better way to group or order the list...I'm seeing HP LaserJet 1015 at about 1/4 of the way down the list.

Here's what mine shows:

1100(MS)

HTH,

Futile

HP Recommended

Cannot get Bob's workaround to work

History: 3 XP Pro 32 bit computers on Ethernet 100 MHz wired network (MSHOME), #1 (BNE-MAIN) , #2 (BNE-VIDEO) and #3 (BNE-2). HP D5460 connected to #3 via USB port. No problem printing. #3 rendered its soul to its maker for recycling and was replaced by #3a, which I named BNE-SECOND to avoid all confusion. #3a is a Lenovo ThinkCentre with a 64 bit Windows 7 and the D5460 is plugged into a USB port with sharing enabled, default name HP Photosmart D5400 series.

Problem: Cannot print from #1 or #2 but can print from #3a. #1 & 2 show D5460 as icon with sharing "pipe" symbol. Clicking on it brings up usual window and Properties will not print test page, nor can an app print. Changing default D5400 driver to Universal one made no difference.

Bob's workaround: OK installing it until I type \\BNE-MAIN\HP Photosmart D5400 series when I get error  The network name cannot be found. Does not work! As the name is ambiguous, I tried all of the following:

\\MSHOME\BNE-MAIN\HP Photosmart D5400 series (The network path was not found)

\\MSHOME\HP Photosmart D5400 series

\\BNE-MAIN\D5400

\\BNE-MAIN\D5460

and all combinations and permutations thereof, none of which worked.

I then thought that maybe I misunderstood and tried Bob's workaround on computer #1 with \\BNE-SECOND\HP Photosmart D5400 series and got message to the effect that it was already installed (don't remember exact wording).

Can anyone help me, please?

HP Recommended

Hey cypedevil, I see you are trying to share a Photosmart printer from a Windows 7 pc to two (2) other Windows XP computers.

Check the link out here. It is a Microsoft Answers post about sharing between Win7 and WinXP. It has great information on how to share either from 7 to XP or the other way. Using this information and the information from Bob on how to direct to the printer should get you going.

Let me know if this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks, Jason.

I've carefully followed your link and the links at the bottom of its page and I'm afraid that I'm no nearer a solution. I must have spent over 100 hours trying to resolve since I bought this computer a few weeks ago.

What is unclear to me is which drivers I should use or does it matter? I initially used the downloaded HP 64-bit ones for 5400 series, then deleted them and installed the Universal 64-bit. I did not see Additional Drivers load on the Win 7 machine, but the Additional drivers window has x86 checked and Installed (not possible to uncheck it)

On the XP machines, after scenario 2 in the link, I read the NOTE and, as it didn't work, I tried to install the XP driver from the distribution disk but it could not detect the printer when asked and I could not force it to find it, so I clicked Connect the printer later, to complete yje installation. It then asked me to connect the printer again, with the same result. As this installation apparently was unsuccessful, I uninstalled it and installed the Universal driver, but this also made no difference.

I have also tried putting an ad hoc folder in /users/Public and configured the location to print through it. Locally, this works fine, but it does not work from the XP machines, even though I can access the Win7 internal drives from anywhere (I added 'Everyone' to the permissions but the printer has this by default).

I am at my wit's end with this problem and would appreciate further help.

HP Recommended
Instead of using the CD, try using a download of the drivers for this D5460.

Win7 64bit driver
WinXP driver

After installing this software and linking up the printer, then you should be able to select the sharing of the printer. Following the steps in the Microsoft link will allow you to set the sharing settings up correctly.

Once you have the printer shared and you know the name that was setup for the shared printer, then you can add the printer to the other PC.

This is where Bob's trick comes in to play. You will be able to set the location for the printer as \\\. Removing the <> as they are just indicators of a placeholder. On the machine that you are setting up the Windows shared printer you can just use the 990c driver. For information on how to do this check out Shane's post located here.

Hope this is helpful
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks Jason. I installed the drivers you recommended. Even with that one, the XP driver won't install without the printer being detected and it seems it needs a local printer to do so. I carted the printer to one of the XP computers to complete the installation but it needs the printer to stay there. If I move it back to the WIN7 computer, the driver no longer works.

I fear that I've messed up the network with nearly 3 weeks of trying this and that, beyond all redemption. Do you know of any way to revert it (just the network) to a virgin state on all computers, so that I can start again from scratch?

HP Recommended

I used to print to an LJ 1320 from a Vista notebook through a printer share on an XP desktop, both Dell.  With a new HP Pro desktop running Win 7 64 I decided not to go through the pain and now print from both via  a D-Link print server.

Installing and finding the LJ1320 driver was a trial, and it needed to be installed in the C:\ directory to work (don't ask).  The recommended driver shows up on the Win 7 desktop with a picture of a  Color Laserjet CM2320 MFP, but who cares, it works!

I did have an HP support technician telling me I couldn't do duplex though on the LJ 1320!  I suppose it will be a bit of a kludge getting a 10 year old orinter to work on Win 7 64!

HTH

David

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.