Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well I happened to chance upon this thread AFTER fixing my 49 problem, and was looking for places to post to alert others.  My 49 errors started when I moved my printer from one side of the house to the other.  It basically switched to another access point on my network under the same SSID.  Once I received the 49 error the printer was a total brick.  I couldn't access any on-screen menus or anything.  I eventually got it working over just a wired ethernet connection but the second I turn on the wifi it goes straight to error 49.

Well this week I happened to get rid of the access point I was using in the room where the printer was moved to and replaced it with a newer router.  The original wasn't that old.. maybe 5 years max and it was a Linksys wireless G model.  Once I took it offline, my printer connected to my other access point (Asus) and it started working perfectly again.

The problem, I don't think, is with Linksys access point, but rather how the HP handles error situations.  Yes, my Linksys access point has acted a bit funny lately, but the printer shouldn't turn into a dead paperweight as soon as there is something wrong with the wifi.

To put it simply, try swapping out the router/access point that your printer connects to for a brand new one and see if anything changes.  If not, you can always return the new router/access point.  In my experience this saved me having to buy a new printer just a couple months out of warranty, after HP support told me I had to trash it and buy a new one.

HP Recommended

After hours of messing around with these printers here is how I resolved the issue of the 49 service error...

I unplugged the network cable from the printer, then created a peer to peer network directly from the printer to my laptop. I had to manually assign an IP address to my laptop.

For example: The printer had a manually assinged IP of 192.168.10.45. Subnet: 255.255.255.0. Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1

I connected an ethernet cable directly from the printer to my laptop and assigned my laptop the following IP scheme:

IP address: 192.168.10.35

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1

Then I logged into the GUI of the printer by typing in 192.168.10.45 into Internet Explorer. Under the "Networking" tab I clicked on "Advanced" in the left side menu.

Then I unchecked all the "Enabled Features" except for "IPv4", "DHCP", and "9100 Printing". Leave those checked.

After clicking "Apply" I connected the printer back to the network and everything worked just fine.

I guess you can re-enable other feautures that you might need like "Airplay".

Not sure why HP comes with all these processes... It's is such a hassle and creates so many problems.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me at {Personal Information Removed}

~Chris

Elite Network Technology

IT Consultant

HP Recommended

Thank you, elite-net-tech, for your post on 11/06/13 02:59 PM. Your advice allowed me to finally fix the same problem that you were experiencing. I do have a Boxee network so, based on what other members stated previously, that may have been the component that was causing my issue. Your advice allowed me to finally allow my HP Printer go to sleep as well as continuing to use my Boxee on the same network.

The only thing that I did that was a little simpler was, while still on my wireless network, I entered the IP address for my HP Printer into the Internet Explorer address bar and it then took me to the Printer Browser Interface that you mentioned in your 5th paragraph. From there I followed your advice, then let the printer shut itself down in the sleep mode and then was able to successfully wake it up with a print request. NO MORE 49 SERVICE ERROR messages and my printer can now go to sleep!

One problem that I did have while performing the setting adjustments was that I had to do it rapidly because my printer kept resetting itself so quickly that I only had a few seconds to complete my actions to get the setting changes to be accepted by the printer. Once they were accepted, problem solved.

Thanks again, elite-net-tech,

Rocky

HP Recommended

ProVideoExperts,

We love our LaserJet Pro 200, but it has a quirky response to network devices, it crashes/restarts after displaying error 49.  We have Telestream professional video products and the printer crashes when on the same network.  For example, when running Wirecast, a live broadcasting tool, the printer crashes as soon as we go on the air.  It also has interrupted our broadcasts on occassion, so I suggest not using the printer on the same network as video products.

@SherpaDigitalMedia.com

HP Recommended

I am amazed at how many posts there have been about Error 49 messages on HP LaserJet Pro 200 251nv!!!  Why hasn't there been a recall on these printers???!!!  Why did they sell me this printer when they knew that this problem existed????  I have tried a myriad of things suggested and am very frustrated.  If there is a tech person out there who can help, please advise.  I spent a lot of money on this printer and recently bought from HP very expensive toners.  I can't afford to throw this printer out and buy a new one!  Thank you.

HP Recommended
My problem started when I switched settings in my wireless router. One fine day I was ready to send the printer to one of those e-waste recycling placed and thought to power it on. Voila! It started working. I realized that since the time I had switched settings on my wifi router and the printer stopped working, I went out and bought a new access point to take advantage of higher throughput. Guess what, the new wifi access point did the trick. Try connecting your printer to another wifi access point or router. It just might save yours from the dumpster.
HP Recommended

Thank you for these clear directions but I followed your instructions and I still have this 49error.  Have you any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Do you have a Boxee app running on one of the computers on the network?

HP Recommended

No.  I just spent 3 hours with tech support tonight and they concluded the laser hardware component of my computer is toast.  Can't see how this could be so as I had no problems until the printer started to register low in black ink and I replaced the cartridge.  Up til then it ran great.  They want me to buy a refurbished same model printer for a reduced price.  Would I want to buy the same printer that everyone seems to be having issues with?  Does anyone know about spooling?  In my wonderings I noticed a spooling issue. 

HP Recommended
Don't give up on this, seriously. They wanted me to buy a new one as well and their tech supported had concluded mine was toast . But what do you know , it's working fine today. If you're tired of trying, by all means take your business elsewhere. If not, keep trying and you may find a solution like I did on my own. By the way, are you getting this error in wired (ethernet ) mode?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.