Question

Honor Student
Marquis_de_Nob
Message 1 of 4 (6,662 Views)
Accepted Solution

7210 driver installed ok but can't find on network

Hello and thanks in advance for reading.

I have a Officejet 7210.

I have used it on a network before with no issues, but set it up years ago. Since then I've been using it on a USB connection but wanted to get it on the network so we can print wirelessly.

Right now it's wired to my Linksys router and I've assigned a static IP of 192.168.1.148. This laptop is connected to the same network wirelessly, and from here I have no problem connecting to http://192.168.1.148 in a web browser to access the config, and can also send a scan job through as well with no issues.

However, I can't seem to figure out how to add this printer at all so I can send print jobs. I have no success adding it.

I'm using XP and installed HP Multi-Function Products Driver Bundle - Corporate Only from this page. After it extracted the files into the folder HP_WebRelease, I ran setup.exe there and it supposedly installed a bunch of stuff but did not try to actually find the printer. When I tried to add the printer through the standard Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes, I can't get it to recognize my printer on the network, and if I put http://192.168.1.148 into the URL field, it is not successful.

I tried uninstalling all HP Printer software from Add/Remove Programs, then rebooting, then installing that same Corporate Driver Bundle again, that had no effect.

I then went back to the same driver page on HP and tried installing HP Basic Feature software/driver . Same results with that one. But I don't believe I took the time to fully uninstall everything from the corporate bundle.

If anyone could suggest my next step to get this thing connected, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Mark in SF

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 4 (6,684 Views)

Re: 7210 driver installed ok but can't find on network

Mark,

I think you'll need to followi the directions in the Readme file from the extraction directory. On XP, it should be here:

C:\temp\HP_WebRelease\Setup\Enterprise\readme

If you want to do a full manual install, here's the sequence for XP:

1. Click "Start" button --> Printers and Faxes.
  2. Under Printer Tasks, click "Add Printer".
  3. Click "Next" button on the Add Printer Wizard window.
  4. Select "Local printer attached to this computer". Deselect "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play printer". Click "Next".
  5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "Next" button.
  6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on and configured. Click "Next" button.
  7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's IP address (normally I would put the printer's name here but you're using a static IP address for the printer). Click "Next" then click "Finish".
  8. Now, select HP from the list of manufacturers, select your printer from the list of Printer models and click 'Next' button.
  9. Keep the existing driver and click "Next".
  10. Add the print spooler name and click "Next".
  11. Click "Next"
  12. Click "Next" and then "Finish"
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
Marquis_de_Nob
Message 3 of 4 (6,505 Views)

Apologies for my late response, but just wanted to say THANKS! This is exactly what I was looking for, and it worked like a charm!

Cheers

Student
vikegutt
Message 4 of 4 (2,263 Views)

Hi! I have the same problem but I'm using Windows 7 64bit. Everyting looks fine until printing test page then the printer is not present.

Would be greate if someone could tip me of a solution here.

Thanks in advance

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation