Question

Honor Student
TobyJG
Message 1 of 2 (430 Views)

Automated printer installs.

Hello,

I work for a school board that has many IP based printers in many locations. Every year we re-image close to 90% of the PC's in every school. We have the imaging down so that it is nearly automated. What we are now looking for is an automated printing solution, one that will be able to automatically install printers on a PC with out any user intervention. Most of these sites do not have a local server or high bandwidth lines. So scripting from a login script is out.

Does anyone happen to have any good suggestions?

HP Jet directs are the flavour of choice.

TX.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 2 (418 Views)

Re: Automated printer installs.

What kind of printers and PC's are you running?  Are all the printers and computers accessible from a common network?

There are a couple of ways to automate printer installation.

1. You could create an image that includes the printer installation so when the next time you re-image the printer installation is automatically installed.
  2. Some of our printers have command line installation tools (like this one for the C8100).
  3. I've used Apple's Bonjour application with great success to quickly install print-only drivers on PC's.  I've put this application and a copy of the print drivers on a shared network drive and was able to install drivers on a set of new PC's quickly this way.

I'm curious what others suggest.  While I'm mostly a real-time wireless engineer, I've always been fascinated with the complexity of IT issues.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation