Question

Tutor
ackernan
Message 1 of 10 (804 Views)
Accepted Solution

Bonjour & Wireless

I have a d110a photosmart printer.  I tried to enable bonjour on the printer, now it's not visible on my network from any of my computers.  The wireless router sees it and it gets an ip address.  I've tried to reset to factory defaults with no success.  How can I fix the problem?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 10 (798 Views)

Re: Bonjour & Wireless

Hi,

The printer should have Bonjour enabled by its default configuration.

As well restoring teh network defaults of the printer re-enable Bonjour so it must be enabled by your pritner

In addition to the printer and the Mac, the router have to support Bonjour too.

Not any router support Bonjour or may have it disabled by its default configuration.

Please clarify your router brand and model to better understand what can be done next.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
ackernan
Message 3 of 10 (795 Views)

My router is a Belkin Wireless G, F5D7234-4. I don't have a Mac, my computers have Windows 7 and Linux.  I was wanting to use Bonjour to Airprint from my Iphone.  Bonjour was disabled and my printer worked fine, I disabled it when I first got the printer a couple yrs ago.  The connectivity issur started after I enabled Bonjour.  I got this router about 2 months ago, now I see it doesn't support Bonjour.  I'm going to replace the router but I'd like too get the connectivity issue fixed first. 

Could having Bonjour enabled be causing an issue? 

Can I disable Bonjour using the front panel of the printer?

Thanks for the help.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 4 of 10 (790 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for clarifying.

AirPrint require Bonjour and won't work if it been disabled by the printer..

What are the requirements for printing with AirPrint?
The Apple device (iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch) and the HP printer must be connected to the same private 802.11 wireless network. AirPrint uses Bonjour, Apple's zero-configuration networking, to automatically discover your wireless printer over the local network.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02623193&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4023246&tmp...

From my experience (confirmed by Belkin support during a phone call), none of their routers currently support Bonjour / Multicasting..

You may set a temporary ad-hoc connection to bypass the router, yu'll see that AirPrint do work while Bonjour is fully supported..

Follow these steps to restore your product's network default settings.
  1. Touch the Wireless button ( ) on the front of the product.
  2. Touch the Right Arrow button to select Wireless Settings , and then touch OK .
  3. Touch the Right Arrow button to select Restore Network Defaults , and then touch OK .
  4. Select Yes to confirm your selection, and then touch OK .
  5. Open teh Wireless Settings again and ensure the wireless radio is turned On.
  6. From the iOS device go to Settings > Wi-Fi and select the pritner SSID, it will be listed as HP Setup or will include wither HP or D110.
  7. Allow 3 minutes to fully establish the network connection and try printing.

As the direct connection provide Bonjour compatibility for the entire envoirnment, using a router which supports Bonjour will provide the same results and will resolve the problem.

Once done testing, be sure to reconnect the printer to your router by going to the Wireless Settings and following the Wireless Setup Wizard.

If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
ackernan
Message 5 of 10 (787 Views)

That sorta fixed my problem. I can print from my Iphone if I'm on the printer network. The problem is the printer is not visible when connected to the home network. Only the router is able to see it and give an ip.
Provost
ShlomiL
Message 6 of 10 (768 Views)

As I mentioned, in order to AirPrint to operate both the printer, the iOS device and the router MUST support Bonjour as well.

As you stated above "now I see it doesn't support Bonjour.  I'm going to replace the router but I'd like too get the connectivity issue fixed first. "

If your current router does not support Bonjour you will not be able to use AirPrint through that router,  As soon as you'll replace your router another model which support Bonjour Airprint will work over your home network..

Tutor
ackernan
Message 7 of 10 (762 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm not worried about using Airprint now, knowing the router doesn't support Bonjour.  I'd like to get the basic printer network visibility issue fixed before I get another router.  I had no problems with the printer working with this router until yesterday.  The router is the only device on my home network that sees the printer.  I can wirelessly print from my Iphone when the printer is not connected to my network.

Tutor
ackernan
Message 8 of 10 (719 Views)

Any ideas?
Tutor
ackernan
Message 9 of 10 (707 Views)

I figured out the problem, it's interesting.  This is one for the books.  My router supports guest and admin passwords for wireless.  The other day I started using guest password on my printer.  Just for grins I changed back to admin password for wireless and my printer was visible.  Too make sure the password was the problem, I used the guest password and the printer was not visible.  I changed back to the admin password and power cycled the printer and it was visible on the network.  Who would've thought a guest/admin wireless password would create a problem like this.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 10 of 10 (680 Views)

Great to hear you had managed to sort it out!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation