Question

Tutor
viffer800fix
Message 1 of 22 (5,895 Views)
Accepted Solution

C309g-m - can't connect to wireless network, touchpad locks up

[ Edited ]

Hi.

As suggested by PrintDoc, this is a new thread following on from here, where I jumped in with a hijack at Post 23.  Sorry.

Here are the details:

1) System:

Router is Thomson TG585n supplied by ISP O2/Telefonica.  ADSL broadband downloading at ~9Mbps.

3 devices connected and stable:

- Desktop PC runs XPSP3, connects to router via homeplug (Ethernet over mains wiring).

- Laptop runs Vista Home Premium, connects wirelessly with WPA2-AES.

- Mobile phone runs Symbian 60, connects wirelessly the same way.

Router is set to run wireless g on Channel 11 and to accept new devices automatically that have the proper security passphrase.

It's a 3-storey house - router on top floor has always worked well; desktop on middle floor with printer; laptop and phone may be anywhere.

So far so good.

I now want to add the wireless printer and am really struggling.

2) Summary of symptoms:

I bought the C309g-m from Amazon UK in January 2010.  Connected easily via USB with Wizard.  Migrated to wireless via front panel.  Easy. Then tried to add a 500GB Freecom Network Drive (NAS device wired to the router) and failed because I didn't RTFM.  After removing the FND I got an HP error message to the effect that I was "trying to set a fixed IP address for the printer" and lost the wireless connection to the printer.  Haven't seen that message  since, so I can't replicate it.

Like I said, I removed the FND, which never showed up on the network anyway.  However I still can't connect wirelessly to the printer.  The Wireless Connection Wizard locks up after prompting for a passphrase.  The Wireless Network Test report shows that the radio is working, but shows FAIL opposite the entry for "No Filtering".  I've looked in the router console and there is nowhere to set MAC Address Filtering, so I'm stumped.

I've tried "Add a Device" from the CD, to get the network settings via USB.  It takes forever (30 mins?) to come up with the same "MAC Address filtering" error.

One more thing: if I leave radio enabled (the default at power-on) the touchpad will lock up after a few mins at the home screen.  If I disable it, it's fine.  Once locked up, the only way to shut down is to unplug the power.

Finally - all the basic printer functions are fine.  I can print and scan via USB, and can take copies.

Thoughts:

a) I think my router settings may be screwed.  I can't see any way to set limits on the DHCP pool, which I should be able to.  However, since I have 3 devices that connect to the web I'm reluctant to do a factory reset in case I lose those!

b) Something's wrong with the printer - but I don't know what.

c) I could try temporarily moving the printer to i) closer in wireless range and ii) within CAT5 hardwirable range

d) The fact that I can connect neither the printer (wirelessly) nor the FND (wired) makes me suspect the router.  However I got no support from O2: they said it was an internal LAN/WLAN problem and nothing to do with broadband, so were not willing to help.

I've spent hours on this and am getting nowhere.  Please help!

Tim.

BTW - I'm in the UK.

Tutor
viffer800fix
Message 2 of 22 (5,889 Views)

Re: C309g-m - can't connect to wireless network, touchpad locks up

Some more system info:

- Running Avira personal firewall on the laptop but not on the desktop.  HP print programs listed as "allowed".

- Firewall disabled in the router.

- Nowhere in the router can I find anywhere to allow TCP/UDP ports for specific network devices.

Tim.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 3 of 22 (5,863 Views)

Have you tried to install the printer without the DSL line plugged in?  Try this:

Sometimes DSL providers have more control over the router than the printer likes.

- Unplug the telephone line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know, use the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Finally, plug in the phone line, reboot the router and test.

Also, there are reports that it takes a stronger wi-fi signal at the printer to actually connect it the first time, however once connected it can operate (print) with a lesser signal.  You may want to try an installation with the printer closer to the router then move it once it is connected.

I am employed by HP
Student
liverbird
Message 4 of 22 (5,819 Views)

I don't think it's you. i have my laptop and 2 desktops connected to the wireless network but yet the printer won't find the wireless network.

Anyone successfully connected to this printer wirelessly?

Tutor
viffer800fix
Message 5 of 22 (5,774 Views)

[ Edited ]

Update - progress, of the "eliminatory" (sp?) kind.  I can now connect via CAT5 (I hadn't tried that before).

Yesterday I moved the printer to within 2 feet of the router.

I went through the wireless setup wizard, and got the same failure to connect, followed by the now-customary hang-up.

After unplugging, I restarted it and disabled the wireless radio via the touch panel.  I then shut it down again from the font panel button, an plugged in a short length of CAT5 between the printer and router.

I then restarted the printer and BINGO - seen by the router, and reported on the Network Status Report as having the IP Address 192.168.1.171, assigned by DHCP.

Was able to browse to the EWS by typing the IP Address into Firefox, and was able to install the printer as a networked device via Vista Control Panel.

Conclusions/inferences:

1) The WLAN connection problem still stands, but there's nothing wrong with the wired part of the router.

2) The problem with the NAS device is probably related purely to that device, not the router.

3) The CAT5 connection, though it works, is not my solution: the router and my office, where the printer is needed, are on different floors of a 3-storey house.  That's why I bought a wireless device in the first place to replace my trusty and excellent Canon iP6700D!

Next steps:

1) Now that the router is "aware" of the printer's characteristics (MAC address, device type, etc), and has assigned it an IP address once, I'll try wireless again.  Clutching at straws, probably, but easy to try.

2) I'll try PrintDoc's suggestion about the DSL line (out of respect to his experience, but I don't have much faith in it TBH)

3) Last resort, and risking loss of my internet connection, is to do a factory reset on the router in case I've screwed some wireless or menu settings.  II read somewhere that changing anything away from default on a Thomson Router can disable certain menu options and prevent you from restoring those settings.

Liverbird - thanks for the moral support!  Will keep people posted as I progress.

Tim.

Tutor
viffer800fix
Message 6 of 22 (5,745 Views)

Update:

1) Have successfully reset the router.  As you can see, I still have an internet connection.

2) PrintDoc's "disconnect the DSL line" idea didn't work.

3) Neither did mine - I still can't connect via the Wireless Setup Wizard on the front panel.  It STILL tells me that MAC Address filtering is enabled.  The router console tells me it's not - "Accept new devices automatically".  My Nokia smartphone connects first time.

4) I've constrained the router to 802.11g on Channel 11.

5) I'm now trying the pc-based connection tool and newtork diagnostic wizard.

I'm not a happy chappy....

Tim.

Tutor
viffer800fix
Message 7 of 22 (5,741 Views)

[ Edited ]

As a technical challenge, this interests me; as a member of a family that just wants to get what they paid for, this really upsets me (language moderated for a public forum!).

1) I've just tried the "Network Diagnostic Utility".  Guess what - it tells me my network is just fine, but it can't find any printers.  No news there then.

2) I then ran "Add a Device" from the HP > Photosmart Premium" program group.  It spent about 15 minutes going through all the steps with the USB cable connected as requested, as far as confirming successful attachment of the printer to the wireless network.  Great, I thought :smileyhappy:  It then asked me to print the Wireless Network Test report as a confirmation test page.  No go - it made some noises as if starting a print, then reported "Printer Setup has failed to complete", along with a graphic that showed a big red circle with an X in it!  At some time before that point, the front panel had hung up.  The wizard helpfully suggested I try again later....

3) I disconnected the power plug, waited a minute, and tried again.  Again the "Add a Device" wizard tried to find the printer.  This time it gave up after 10 minutes, and reported that MAC Address Filtering seemed to be enabled!  I hadn't touched the router in all this time (since my previous post) and when I look now the settings are indeed unchanged.  To cap that, it suggested I print a Wieless Network Test report; guess what - the front panel was locked up (again!) so i could not.

4) I have a 200KB zip file containing 5 .PNG screenshots of the error messages if PrintDoc or anyone else wants to use them to help.  I can't post attachments and don't have a file hosting site I can link to.  Let me have an e-mail address and I'll post to anyone that wants them.

I'm now getting seriously angry.  Only my natural troubleshooting skills and interest as an engineer are preventing this thing from going out of the window.  I've spent DAYS on this now.  The printer is at least on the point of going back to the vendor.

Is this really just an expensive paperweight, as someone suggested elsewhere?  My wife wonders if it came cheap from Amazon because they'd been told the wireless function is flaky!  Is this reluctance to connect a feature of all wireless printers or just HP ones?  Is it my printer/router combination?  Why on earth should it be so hard to set up?  I've done Cisco CCNA1 - if I can't do it, is this a fit kind of product to be on the market?

Tim.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 22 (5,730 Views)

I am beginning to suspect a defective printer, here.  Have you moved the printer closer to the router for installation purposes?

What does a Wireless Network Test tell you about the results of its internal self-tests of the radio?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
viffer800fix
Message 9 of 22 (5,720 Views)

Thanks PrintDoc.  Do you get paid for this? :smileywink:

1) The tests described in the previous two posts were done with the printer no more than two feet from the router.

2) The wireless network test - when I can run it with the printer not locked up - tells me that the radio is OK.

3) The WNT gets as far as "No filtering" before it fails.

Please say something that will stop me chucking this thing out of the window.  :smileymad:

Tim.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 22 (5,715 Views)

OK, don't chuck it out the window - you will need it when you return it for an exchange where you bought it.  Or, contact official HP warranty people:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation