Question

Honor Student
12jeremy34
Message 1 of 8 (2,743 Views)

C4580 Offline

In November 09 we bought a C4580 at the same time as a new IMac. We had professional help with the wireless set up using a Netgear router. The printer worked well but would not scan, which seems to be a general problem.

In December the printer refused to work. Error message 'not connected' although the wireless network test and configuration page printed perfectly with no problems identified.

Printer was switched off for a period of 4 weeks and in January started to work again. I loaded the HP software into a Vaio with XP SP2 and was able with no problems to print and scan. (Norton has been removed entirely from this computer).

This week with no warning the printer will not print or scan with either computer and has gone back to its non connected state although the self test is perfect.

For  us the printer is perfect if it works wirelessly which is why we bought it. There seems to be a significant problem with the wireless system on this model, the various blogs show an alarming number of similar concerns and a huge number of potential solutions. Question to HP:-  Is there a general issue with the C4580 wireless system (as strongly suggested by the various customer reviews ie Amazon)? If not how can the apparent randomness of the problem be explained?

We are on the point of returning the printer, unless we can find a permanent solution this will be our reluctant conclusion. Needless to say the replacement will not be an HP product!!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 8 (2,729 Views)

Re: C4580 Offline

Do you know if you set a static IP address for the printer?  

When a device (printer, computer...) is connected to a network, that device is given an IP address.  This address is given by the router.

If the printer goes to sleep, the router can give the IP address to another device.  When the printer wakes up, it is given a different IP address and sometimes this can cause troubles with the computer finding the printer.

So, this is where a static IP address comes in handy.  Here is how to do it:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- Click the Manual IP button and enter:
use its current IP address for the IP address
255.255.255.0 for the subnet
192.168.0.1 for the gateway and DNS (first field, leave the second field blank)
- Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' in Control Panel > Printers using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
12jeremy34
Message 3 of 8 (2,720 Views)

Still in trouble. I have printed out the network cofig page and the IPv4 IP address is shown as 169.254.65.144 This is unchanged versus the address shown in all previous print outs.

When I type this address into my safari browser I get the message :  Safari can't open the page http://169.254.65.144/  because the server where the page is located isn't responding.

The config. summary shows Auto IP at the moment which may be the problem but I have tried numerous ways of accessing the printer's set up system from the Mac without success, it constantly refuses to see it.

Thanks anyway for a prompt reply which at least sounds plausible if I could only activate it. More advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

ps I have deleted all the HP software from the Vaio but not the IMac, I hope this is not confusing the system (doubtful because the wireless test report is still good.)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 8 (2,707 Views)

That IP address is self-assigned, meaning the printer is not connected to your router.

So, the best path forward is to re-install the printer using the software from here (assuming you have Snow Leopard 10.6).

After that, follow my instructions to set a static IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Norbert68
Message 5 of 8 (2,485 Views)

I have exactly the same problem but I cannot fix it - can anyone help me please?

I have an HP Photosmart C4580 wireless printer.

I had it set up through a Belkin wireless router to the PC and everything was fine.

I cam back from a weekend away a few weeks back and the printer could not connect to the PC via the router.

I have found that the router is using IP address 192.168.2.2 but the printer is using IP address 168.254.54.172 (which I believe is a default IP address.)

I have read the fix quioted a few posts above and have tried to access to printer directly by typing IP address 168.254.54.172 into the browser, but it says it cannot find the address (I have checked firewalls etc., and it is not being caused by them).

My hope was to access the printer configuration and then manually set the IP address to 192.168.2.2 as described by Printdoc in his post above, but for the life of me, I cannot get the printer's IP address to work to give me access in the browser.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the printer's IP address to set manually or how to get into the settings!

Thanks in advance

Nick

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 8 (2,484 Views)

Sorry, but your printer has become disconnected from your router.  You need to re-connect it.  During that process we will set a static IP address:

FIrst, find your printer's CD and insert it to run the printer setup program again.  If you can't find it look here.

Once it is connected, set a static IP address for it:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Norbert68
Message 7 of 8 (2,447 Views)

OK - thanks for the help, but one question if I may.

You say run the printer setup program (fine, got that) and then you say "once it is connected, set a static IP address for it."

Sorry if I am being dumb, but when you say connected, do you want me to try and get it to setup wirelessly or via USB?

The problem I had before, was that although I knew the printer's IP address( as shown on the network configuration page), when I putthat IP address into a browser so I could then setup a manual IP address, the browser couldn't display it.

Thanks for your help!

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 8 (2,440 Views)

If you want to connect the printer wirelessly, select that as the connection type during the software installation and follow the instructions.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation