Question

Honor Student
help-please
Message 1 of 24 (55,029 Views)

C4580 - Problems with Wireless Installation/Setup

I am having problems installing/setting up my C4580 for wireless printing (i.e. through a network option) USB works fine.

It always fails at the same place:

- I select 'through a network'

- I select my SSID (Network Name) from the list

- I enter my WPA key

- The process runs through Network Diagnostics

- then gives me the following error:

"Your PC can not communicate with your printer at address 192.168.0.5. Check all cable connections. Check that the printer, PC and router are powered on and connected to the network

Unable to communicate with your printer at this time. This may be caused by a Firewall. If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 427 is unblocked from your printer at 192.168.0.5 to your pc."

I have:

- turned off windows firewall and anti-virus

- ran the install (including advanced and only selecting the required drivers - to save time on multiple attempts)

- before each attempt, fully uninstalled everything (using the L1, L2, L3 and L4 .bat files as recommended by HP)

I have a Netgear DG834, which has a firewall. I have not tried adjusting any settings here, apart from reserving the IP Address 192.168.0.5 for the printer and adding the C4580 MAC Address to the Access Control List.

Any help/advice much appreciated. I have spent about 10 hours on this + 1.5 hours to HP Telephone Support + 1 hour to HP Email Support.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 24 (54,969 Views)

Re: C4580 - Problems with Wireless Installation/Setup

I have a couple of questions and comments:

1. Are you using MAC-filtering for your network?  There's no need for it if you are using WPA-PSK.  My recommendation is to keep the DHCP reservation for the printer but don't use the access control list.
  2. Can you ping the printer from your PC?  Can you access the printer's internal web page via it's IP address?
  3. What type of computer are you using?  What OS do you have installed?

Regards / Jim B

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
help-please
Message 3 of 24 (54,967 Views)

Jim, thanks for your reply. Answering each point in turn:

1) I am using MAC filtering as whilst the 'wireless' traffic is secured using WPA-PSK, I thought it would just add an additional level of security. However, Netgear suggested I try using WEP to see if that helps solve this issue, but I can't see that making any differance.

2) I haven't actually tried to ping the printer from my PC, but have tried pinging the printer from my router diagnostics and seems ok. Also, I didn't know the printer had an internal web page. Is it available by using the IP or is it as specific url??

3) Dell D620 Laptop XP SP2

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 24 (54,964 Views)

Don't bother with Mac filtering -- it's easily spoofed.  Here's a good article on the subject.

WPA-PSK is very secure when you use a pass phrase that is longer than 12 characters.  I can't believe Netgear suggested WEP -- they should know better since it has been broken for years.

Using DHCP reseravation is a good thing for HP printers since it ensures the IP address doesn't change over time -- which confuses the printer SW on the PC when it does.

The printer's internal web page is available via the printer's IP address or the printer's hostname.  Both of these are avaialble by printing the network configuration page from the wireless settings menu on the printer (press the wireless button to get started).

BTW -- what type of personal firewall (Norton, Zonealarm, McAfee, Windows) are you running?

Regards / Jim B

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
help-please
Message 5 of 24 (54,956 Views)

Windows Firewall, however, for the purposes of installing the printer it is off (as recommended by HP support) as is the Anti-Virus (Symantic).

Not sure if you are familiar with Netgear Routers, but I have also tried (last night):

- adding a service for UDP and a port range of 137-427 (as HP suggest 3 ports it may use) and also because the error referenced UDP Port 427

- adding an Inbound Rule ALLOWING my new service to the PC IP ending .2

- adding an Ooutbound Rule ALLOWING my new service to the printer IP ending .5

- ALLOWING Any Service to both Inbound and Outboudn Services

This didn't help either.

Honor Student
help-please
Message 6 of 24 (54,926 Views)

I can ping the Printer from both the Router and the PC successfully.

I can also see the printer home page, therefore in terms of connectivity it is connected, right??

Any other ideas??

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 7 of 24 (54,840 Views)

The changes you've made to your wireless-router should be applied to the firewall running on your XP computer.  The reason is that those settings on the wireless-router are meant for traffic going between your local network in your home and the wide-area network (aka internet).

You should probably undo those settings.

Let's try adding the printer manually.  This sequence works for XP: 

1. Click "Start" button --> Printers and Faxes.
  2. Under Printer Tasks, click "Add Printer".
  3. Click "Next" button on the first Add Printer Wizard window.
  4. If the option for Local or Network printer appears, select Local printer attached to this computer and click Next.  Make sure that "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play  printer" option is unchecked.
  5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port"  and click "Next" button.
  6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is  turned on and configured. Click "Next" button.
  7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's host name (that is hostname of printer that printed in netwotrk configuration page)
  8. Under "Additional Port Information" select "Standard". Click Next, and then click Finish.
  9. Now, select HP from the list of manufacturers, select your printer from  the list of Printer models  and click 'Next' button.
  10. The Printer name will be highlighted on the next window.
  11. Click "Next" button.
  12. It ask for the Printer name -- leave it as is.
  13. Select "Yes" option for making the printer default.
  14. Click "Next" button.
  15. The Printer Sharing dialog box will open.
  16. Click "Next" button.
  17. The Print Test Page box appears.
  18. Select "Yes" option to print a test page.
  19. Print Test Page.
  20. Completing the Add Printer Wizard box appears.
  21. Click "Finish" button and wait for the files to copy 

Regards / Jim B

Honor Student
Scott H
Message 8 of 24 (53,313 Views)

I'm having this EXACT same problem, except that the printer is the HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Premier and the printer is connected through wired Ethernet (not wireless).

My hardware, software, & config is similar to the user who posted previously.  I have a Dell laptop model D820.  I use the Windows Firewall.  I use Symantec AntiVirus.  OS is XP with SP3 installed.

I've been on the phone with HP support for over 2 hours now and am getting no where.

Were you able to find a fix for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Honor Student
Scott H
Message 9 of 24 (53,314 Views)

A little bit more information/background -

The installer does say it is finding the printer.  It displays the printer and when I select it and continue it attempts to do numerous checks of the printer and after going through all the checks (I think most all are working) it then returns this same error:

"Unable to communicate with your printer at this time. This may be caused by a firewall.  If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 427 is unblocked from your printer at 192.168.2.199 to your pc."

Like the past user, I've turned off (stopped the services) of the Windows Firewall and all Symantec services as well.

Honor Student
Scott H
Message 10 of 24 (53,308 Views)

Exact error message text:

Unable to communicate with your printer at this time. This may be caused by a Firewall. If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 427 is unblocked from your printer at 192.168.2.199 to your PC.

If you reconfigure the firewall, click Retry to see if the network communication is unblocked or click Next to continue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation