C4795 Wireless Networking Configuration (9667 Views)
Student
thomasbuff
Message 1 of 7 (9,667 Views)

C4795 Wireless Networking Configuration

I am trying to configure my new HP Photosmart C4795 wirelessly into my home network. Here is my setup:

My home network consists of the following:

Laptop 1 (which the printer was installed on): Toshiba Sattelite A505-S6980 running Windows 7 OS.

Firewall software provided through the latest AVG Security suite

Laptop 2: Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows XP OS.

Firewall software provided through McAfee Security suite

Wireless Router: Linksys by Cisco WRT400N

Initial setup of the C4795 prompted an error stating Laptop 1 could not find the printer on the network.

Troubleshooting led me to disable AVG firewall which allowed printing to work but when the firewall is reactivated the print server states it is offline and won't print.

When attempting to add the printer to Laptop 2 I do not see it listed as a network peripheral.

Please help me allow both laptops to print without permanently disabling firewall.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (9,651 Views)

Re: C4795 Wireless Networking Configuration

[ Edited ]
In general, the following programs need access to your local network:
  • hpqkygrp.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
  • hpqscnvw.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
  • hpqste08.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
  • hpzipm12.exe, located under the C:\windows\system32 directory.
  • hpzinw12.exe, located under the C:\windows\system32 directory.
  • hpqtra08.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
  • hpqthb08.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
These programs need the following ports to be opened in your SW firewall:
UDP 427
UDP 161
UDP 137
UDP 139
TCP 9100
TCP 9220
TCP 9290
TCP 9500

You'll need to configure your SW firewall on your PC to allow these ports and programs access to your network.

If you search the www.hp.com support site, you'll find a number of entries for configuring different types of SW firewalls to work with HP printer SW.  For example:

I am employed by HP
Top Student
jv4HIM
Message 3 of 7 (9,598 Views)

I have a similar problem with the C4795 and windows 7 Home Premium when adding the printer it always results in "DEVICE SETUP FAILED TO COMPLETE".

For what I can tell:

1. The software installed without a hitch;
  2. I can type the IP address for the printer and load its page without a problem.
  3. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software to no avail.  I have tried not loading anything that is not from microsoft and the result is always the above;
  4. I have tried to install it manually and even though the icon for the printer appears I cannot select it as a printer.

At this point, I wonder if it the cripple HOME PREMIUM version of windows that does not allow for network connection.

Could you give me other alternative on how to complete this installation?

Thanks,

Top Student
Another_HP_User
Message 4 of 7 (9,577 Views)

I'm a bit further than the previous posts.  I've tried this on 3 different HP laptops first running Vista and now Win-7 with the same problem for several months using several different versions of the HP printer drivers.  Wired printing works fine.

I got the network diagnostic utility and after manually entering the firewall rules listed there (and in the post above) into Norton 360 (hpqscnvw.exe was already listed in a rule but doesn't exist in the BIN directory, hpqthb08.exe doesn't exist in the BIN directory either), I got to the point where the test print (and anything else) would only print the top 1 inch of the image on the page.  The printer would then kick the page out and hang for about a minute.  Then it would retry printing the page.  Sometimes it would get more or less of the image on the succeeding tries. It keeps retrying until the queue entry is cancelled.   A half page simple text document might finish on a couple tries, but not more than that. 

I originally thought that status handshaking back from the printer wasn't working, but now I have a pop-up box telling me I'm low on ink which appears about every 15 seconds, and I can't turn it off, so I'm assuming that at least some reverse communications is occuring.  I can also enter the IP address and pull up the printer setup page.  I haven't tried any of the other features yet because I thought printing would be the easiest to debug.  Does anybody have any ideas what I'm missing? 

Thanks,

Ron

Top Student
jv4HIM
Message 5 of 7 (9,565 Views)

I would like to add that the version of windows 7 is the 64-bit Home Premium one.  I was successful installing the drivers in two different machines .. an XP laptop and desktop.  The laptop is a wireless connection ... the desktop is wired to the router and it's connected to the printer through it ... wirelessly.

It's the newer laptop which does not complete the installation... Connectivity is not the issue as far as I can tell with the other two machines accessing the C4795 without a problem. 

Is there a different procedure to get this installed in windows7?

Should I installed the driver wired and then change to wireless?  I guess I will try that ... I'll keep you all posted.

Any help/ideas are welcome.... Thanks1

Top Student
jv4HIM
Message 6 of 7 (9,423 Views)

Well,

I have tried installing the printer with the USB cable and nothing ... it fails.

+ Printer is connected to the router;

+ Other computers are able to print to it through the wireless connection.

+ Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium HP laptop is connected to router and can access the printer's website; but

- Driver installation always ends up with "Device setup failed to complete"  7/8 ... big RED X in the middle....

Any help will be much appreciated,

jv4HIM

Honor Student
arkmassage1
Message 7 of 7 (9,041 Views)

We had similar issues.  try turning off ALL firewalls.  FOR sure turn off norton and disable the anti virus while you install.  NORTON Caused us BIG   problems on all kind of program install on  our new HP with Windows 7 premium...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation